Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

police bike starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 06:54 PM
gillie64
Cruiser
Received 67 Likes on 6 Posts
Default police bike starting

why is it that you have to pull the clutch in to start a police bike but NOT other harleys? Can you change that?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:01 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Was not aware that there was a clutch interlock switch preventing Police bikes from starting without the clutch engaged.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

I guess it's a good idea from a safety standpoint, the same concept would apply to a sidestand interlock. Although I would say that if the MoCo just went to a system that only allowed the bike to start in neutral, that would be the best of both worlds. I will confess, I did attempt to start my bike once (on my '03 Ultra) with the bike on the sidestand...thinking it was in neutral. WRONG! Boy was I surprised when the bike lurched forward. Thanks God it didn't fall off the Jiffy Stand. I never made the same mistake again.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:06 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm guessing it's a "safety" feature to prevent a bike (parked in gear) from lurching forward. come to think of it.....i have always started bikes this way

Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 PM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Police Bike Starting

Cause ya need two hands when drinking coffee and eating donuts!!! LOL
Im sorry I mean no disrespect I couldn't help myself. I appreciate all the LEO's on this site as well as on the street truly!!! Bill

Old 03-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 09' will only start with the clutch pulled in or in neutral. My 05' would start whenever, I'm glad that the 09' is different, nice safety feature.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:18 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Starting with the 2007 model year, H-D added a clutch interlock switch to their bikes. You have to have the clutch in or have the tranny in neutral for the motor to turn over. This applies to civilian bikes as well as police models though only motors have the jiffy stand interlock.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gillie64
why is it that you have to pull the clutch in to start a police bike but NOT other harleys? Can you change that?
Yes, you can change it. The interlock works with a switch located in the clutch perch, much like the brake light switch in the right handlebar master cylinder mount. I did it on mine when I installed chrome controls and HD didn't offer chrome controls or levers that worked with the interlock switch on my '04 police EG.

As others have replied, the interlock is now a standard feature on newer HD models. Personally, I never had a problem with it and it's how I still start the bike even though I no longer have the interlock.

Buy or borrow a service manual for your bike and the wiring diagrams in the back will show you which wires you will need to connect to bypass the interlock.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:29 PM
zbaber
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 FLHP starts without the clutch in....

but you can bypass the switch on earlier bikes, its not that bad.

Old 03-16-2009, 10:33 PM
NewHarleyGear
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2003 FLHTPI would not start without the clutch in. I removed the switch when I upgraded to chrome controls. No problems!

Quick Reply: police bike starting