Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

police bike starting

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 11:28 PM
BIMC Stinger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah my 2004 FLHTPI has it on there, but there is no jiffystand safety on it. I can't see where there ever was one, but who knows. I like the feature and didn't realize it was such a "new" thing. I was taught to always start the bike with the clutch in anyway.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:44 PM
dredy2g
Tourer

Originally Posted by gillie64
why is it that you have to pull the clutch in to start a police bike but NOT other harleys? Can you change that?
Why would you want to change that? Ya know crap happens! One day some idiot is gonna push ur start switch and wolla no lurch and without the safty device its gonna lurch forward and there goes a couple grand fixing it. So why not have it. I wish mine had a kickstand switch also.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:34 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The clutch disengage is a safety thing. Sometimes cops are in a hurry to start up and take off so most of the times the bike is left if gear. Under these circumstances a lurch could be ugly or dangerous. So they are taught to start the bike with the clutch pulled in. The disengage is just an extra measure. The side stand could be seen as a defensive thing. When coming to a stop it is quicker to drop the side stand and kill the bike as opposed to hitting buttons and turning keys. This leaves the hands free to do other things quickly, like draw a pistol. They actually have tactical drills where they come to a stop, drop the side stand to kill the bike, while drawing their sidearm, standing up on the boards, and engaging the target over the windshield. While it may be safer to dismount and take cover behind the bike, sometimes you don't have the time and have to engage quickly from the saddle. At least that was some of the scenarios we did.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:56 AM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Same reason the bike won't start with the kickstand down. Obama said it was unsafe.

BEN

Old 03-17-2009, 08:33 AM
HDRider2002
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I knew harleypingman would have chimed in already, but he is absolutely correct, just have to jump the wires from the interlock switch and you won't have to use the clutch to start anymore. After doing it for years on metrics, and then the first 2 years on my FLHPi, even though i don't have to anymore, i still do most of the time. Between force of habit and the fact i don't trust the neutral light, i still use the clutch to start the bike

Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I pull in the clutch instinctively before I crank. The old kick starter guys would have a reason for starting with the clutch disengaged, but nobody else.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:13 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tda69
I guess it's a good idea from a safety standpoint, the same concept would apply to a sidestand interlock. Although I would say that if the MoCo just went to a system that only allowed the bike to start in neutral, that would be the best of both worlds. I will confess, I did attempt to start my bike once (on my '03 Ultra) with the bike on the sidestand...thinking it was in neutral. WRONG! Boy was I surprised when the bike lurched forward. Thanks God it didn't fall off the Jiffy Stand. I never made the same mistake again.
I read a post of some guy friend named Todd? that did this??hmmmm

Sorry this was just a timing thing as I just recently read the thread regarding starting bikes in gear..

Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HDRider2002
I don't trust the neutral light
That's a good enough reason as any. If the neutral light is lit up all it really means is that the light works. It does NOT mean it's in neutral,

Old 04-18-2009, 09:08 PM
lc1484
6th Gear

so is there a way to disconnect it without getting into the wiring harness....because the levers are different than stock. The cop bike levers have a notch on it to engage the switch....is there a why to unplug this?

thanks

Old 04-18-2009, 09:08 PM
lc1484
6th Gear

i meant way to unplug this? or disconnect it?

Quick Reply: police bike starting