Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Shake at Idle and Vibration While Cruising

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
ajay450
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Shake at Idle and Vibration While Cruising

I've just recently decided that at idle my 08 EGS has more shake than other engines. I've decided this just by watching other EGC's, Ultra's, SG's and Kings at idle when they come into and leave the HD dealer where I get my service work done. Real scientific, huh? Could excessive shake be due to a motor mount being out of adjustment? Would having the stage 1 done cause engines to have less shake? My engine is stock except I have Rush slipons with a 1.5 inch baffle-no air/fuel upgrades. Also, I have always heard that the "A" engine was smoother when running at cruise speed(say 2500 RPM's) in 5th than the balanced engine. My bike has a definite pulse to it when cruising. Not a buzz or an annoying vibration-my mirrors are clear and I don't feel much in the handlebars, a very, very little on the floorboards, maybe. When cruising along a smooth road I have reached down and put my left(gloved) hand on the front jug and have felt a definite "pulse" or "throb" to the engine-definitely not sewing machine smooth like I kind of thought it might have. I don't know if anyone else has done this kind of half-azzed test, but I would be interested in any of your comments or experience with this. I mentioned this to the service guy and he said that a download would possibly change things. He also mentioned that the engine alignment might need adjusting. He didn't think it would be the rubber mounts. Anyway, flame on and thanks.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:31 PM
foxman
Intermediate

You apparently haven't seen the shake of a 2007 Electraglide Mine shakes worse at idle than my buddies 2001 road glide, and my other buddies 2006 street glide. All i can say is that helps keep me awake when I am at long stop lights

Old 03-16-2009, 02:42 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thought on my 07 King. Shook my teeth at idle since almost the first day while my neighbor's was not near as bad. I decided to replace the front motor mount with a Velva Ride mount (after reading about all the bad rubber mounts, usually on the pre-2007 modles here) and the shaking at idle is much, much less. If it's still under warranty (should be since it's an 08) I'd have the dealer look at it. You will probably get the "it's normal" response, but after changing my mount, I wish I would have made the dealer do it sooner. Would have saved $80 bucks. Oh well....

Old 03-16-2009, 02:56 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as long as the get smoother as the ride goes on.been shakin what since 1910 or the 1st v twin

Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

It's an unbalanced Vtwin. That "pulse" you feel would be very apparent thru the bars and the floorboards if not for the rubber mounting. Try riding a 98 softail or sportster to get the affect.
I too installed a velva ride front mount and that calmed down the idle shake a lot. I get a bit more vibration thru the floorboards with it but it's not a big deal. My old mount was shot at 8000 mi.

Last edited by carpetride; 03-16-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

normal on a stock 08. Mine does it as well. the company has been experimenting with front mounts due to them wearing out premature. what we are stuck with is the longer lasting one that cause WAY more shaking at idle.

things you can do is to change out the front mount for something similiar to the one already mentioned or you can add a fuel management system. believe it or not, I have heard that MANY people have seen quite a difference after adding a power commander or similiar product.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:02 PM
hellmut73
Cruiser

I have a '08 Ultra and my bars shake like crazy! But it smooths out when you get underway. My friends who all ride 88s make fun of the vibration at idle. I told them it is just because mine is a 96" and bigger is better. I think your fine, but have it checked out, don't cost nothing.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:52 PM
ajay450
Tourer

At the end of the day, the service manager watched my bike warm up and said that it might have a little more shake at idle than some. It smoothed right out when he reved it to about 1500-1600. I think I'm just getting paranoid about my baby. We all want our bikes to run right. I will look into the Velva Ride motor mount. Can't hurt and I think you can do this work yourself. Thanks for all the comments.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:58 PM
jeg1
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Had 04 FatBoy with the B-motor and it was so rock steady at idle, really don't know why they don't just put the B in everything and be done with broken fairing brakets and things shaking loose. Rubber mount the B in the touring bikes and they would be ultra smooth.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 AM
ajay450
Tourer

Well, I was going to get my bike on a the computer at the dealer to see if there are any codes for possibly bad sensors or injectors. I had actually made the appointment. But yesterday I was able to ride a used 08 SG that my dealer had for sale in order to compare it to my bike. The SG had about 8900 miles on it. My 08 EGS has about 6100 miles on it. The SG ran rougher than my bike. In fact I would say mine was quite a bit smoother. So, for now, my mind is relieved. For the 10,000 mile service I will have them put it on the computer just to be sure.

Quick Reply: Engine Shake at Idle and Vibration While Cruising