Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grips for a '94 Ultra...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 05:27 PM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Grips for a '94 Ultra...

I'm in a bit of a bind... I'm in the market for a new set of grips, and I just don't want the ones that are stock on my ride.

The issue I have, is I have the handlebar Air Inlet, and ALL of the grips that i would like are not compatiable... [:@]

Is there any way to move this inlet and then not have to worry?? Maybe a conversion from air to spring/oil/whatever?

I'm in need of some suggestions!

I was thinking of maybe just drilling a hole in the endcap of the grips that I want, and installing anyway. I just don't know if the air inlet will work as planned...

Thanks in advance!!

-NFE

Old 04-27-2006, 06:00 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts
Default RE: Grips for a '94 Ultra...

The shrader valve on the end of the bar is there because the Handle Bar is the air reserve for the antidive system.

I hated mine and removed the entire system, installed Prgressive suspension fork springs and 30 wieght for oil. Made a world of difference. Be forwarned. If you completly remove the system you will need to deal with several hot and ground wires.

If you do not want to do that. You can buy any grips you like and modify the end to allow access to the shrader valve.

The other option you have is to take off the outer fairing, disconnect the small rubber hose that connects from the solinoid on the top of the triple clamp to the handlebar. Then run a longer hose down to the factory Crash Bar. Then drill and tap and install valve into the crash bar and use that as the air resivoir. This is how the FLHS of the same era dealt with the issue.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:04 PM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: 89FLHT

The shrader valve on the end of the bar is there because the Handle Bar is the air reserve for the antidive system.

I hated mine and removed the entire system, installed Prgressive suspension fork springs and 30 wieght for oil. Made a world of difference. Be forwarned. If you completly remove the system you will need to deal with several hot and ground wires.
This is something that wouldn't be a bad idea as I'm thinking of getting Progressive 418's (I think that's the number) for the rear that are not Air Shocks.. I'd really like to dump the air suspension myself... Just have bad thoughts of a seal bursting and there goes everything.. U know??

Anyway.. So you have any idea what the Progressive part number is for that?? Is it a kit? Or do I just have to order the parts and piecemeal?

Thanks 89!!

-NFE

Old 04-27-2006, 10:52 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put new grips on my 95 ultra. Had the big fat ones with the spongey material and didn't care for them. Put on the HD chrome ones with the rubber strips, went with the smaller grips even though I have big hands. Much more comfortable. The rubber strips really grip. less fatigue on long runs. I think the part number was 56241-96 - $48.00.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:54 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

NFE,

You can get the Progressive Suspension fork springs from the J&P Cycles Catalog for 60 bucks or so. When you install them and read the directions, Progressive will state that they don't reccomend running air pressure in the forks.

A down an dirty quick way to disable the system after installing the springs (that will keep you from having to deal with redoing any wireing) is to simply disconnect the short rubber hose from the handlebar to the antidive soliniod on the top of the triple clamp. Then the system will remain complete, but the forks will only use the springs and oild for rebound and compression cycles.

Then you can unscrew the shrader valve at the end of the handlebar and install any grips you like.

I completly removed my system for 2 reasons. The O-rings wear out and would not hold air pressure, so I was constantly having to add air to the system on every ride. Second, my bike was a Jersey City cop bike and I had to convert all the wiring for civiian mode. When it came time to install the am/fm/cd/mp3 deck, I just freaked out complelty in my Garage and redid the entire wiring Harness to make it as simple and as clean as possible.

Old 04-28-2006, 02:59 PM
SaltyBagger
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took 89FLHTs 2nd route when I put put the Chubby W508 bars on my 88 FLHTC. I drilled a bulkhead fitting into my inner fairing opposit from the speedo reset button, ran some high preesure (60 psi) hose from the pressure transducer on the fork to the bulkhead fitting and "viola" no more air in the bars.