Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Rear Steer "wobble" experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st Rear Steer "wobble" experience

While riding some roads with some winding turns near Ocala in central Florida, I begin to experience a sensation that the rear of the bike is trying to go to the outside (right) of the (left)turn then comes back pulling slightly to the left and back repeatedly. This continued for about 8 seconds.
I was traveling at approximately 40 mph when this wobble occured. The loading was below the maximum load rating stated in all manuals for saddles and tour pak.
Immediately at this point I checked my rear view mirrow for traffic from behind...clear
The first thing that entered my mind was that I was in the process of loosing the air in the rear tire while the second thing was, thanks to the knowledge and experience of the people here at HDForums, the rear steer or wobble effect. I had never heard or experienced this on my 01 RK until I came across this site.
At this point during decelaration, I tried to place as much weight forward on the bike to ease the load off the rear tire if in fact tire pressure was dropping due to puncture, nail or other fault.
I pulled off to the side of the road and threw away my underwear...
The first thing I did (now stopped and off the bike) was look at the rear tire to see if it was low. It was hard to tell beacuse I was in the grass. Pulled out the handy tire gauge. Proper psi was noted on rear and front tire.
Suddenly it hit me..I bought the bike in North Carolina and was riding it back to Florida (unloaded. I had the same exact feeling when I was traveling the interstate through Charlotte. Being that this section of the road was striated (grooved)concrete..no problem. I have felt this before on similar concrete highways. As atated earlier, I had not heard of rear steer until I discovered this site.
In summary:
Rear steer or wobble occurred on two separate times under completely different riding conditions.
  • 55-65 mph no load in side bags or tour pak 1 up
  • 40mph with side bags and tour pack gear equiped 2 up
  • Both times in sweeping left turns
  • This now may require me to change the Title of this thread to Second Rear Steer "wobble" Experience
Now the question.. I have seen several stabilizing units here, Tru Trak etc.
Any comments, opinions will be greatly appreciated as the bike will remain inside until a stabilizing system is installed.
Thanks again for your knowledge and assistance.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:18 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Did you check the rear swing arm for slop. Maybe something back there needs some attention.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:20 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you're having to experience what HD has completely denied yet did fix on the '09s! Alot of us have some degree of the rear "wobble" or "steer", while some of our riders deny it, or some of the riders just don't have the experience to feel it yet. I'm pretty sure it will vary from bike to bike. Now...as far as a good stabilizer, I'd say take your pick! All of them pretty much do the same thing in different ways...but they all accomplish the same mission and that's keep our rear wheels straight with no travel right to left that we dont' need.

I'm not sure keeping it inside is your best bet as usually this happens under load and in the sweepers or twisties. If you're experiencing issues under less duress I do suggest you take it in to have your swing arm looked at as well as engine mounts to see if they are looser than specs require.

Please keep us updated on your findings.

Ride Safe, Mike

Old 03-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your having wobble problems at 40 you got something else going on.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trock
If your having wobble problems at 40 you got something else going on.
I agree! Something else going on IMO.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:55 AM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Bagger brace, no question....Fixed my 07.

Mark

Old 03-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Now you were riding in Florida right. You sure that this just wasn't the first curve you ever experienced?

ha-ha

Old 03-16-2009, 11:31 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

if you decide to brace go Bagger Brace...make sure what the problem is first

Old 03-16-2009, 12:04 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Now you were riding in Florida right. You sure that this just wasn't the first curve you ever experienced?

ha-ha
.... nah, it's too funny for me to be pizzed

We have a goofy road banking situation here where both the formerly southbound and the formerly northbound folks from HWY 1 are each merged into one lane that is also on a curve. The transition is a right-hand all the way for formerly northbound but left-hand first and THEN right-hand "S" curve for formerly southbound before everyone merges into one lane and then onto HWY 528 eastbound.

I had been southbound on HWY 1 and as I got into reverse section of the "S" curve (shifting from a left turn to right turn), I experienced a relatively modest but very recognizable rear-steer wobble at around 45-50 MPH, not all that fast really, so sometimes speed might not be the major part of the condition.

I had transitioned across the goofy crest of the two banks (still turning left but road surface suddenly tilted downward to the outside - right hand side - of the turn) and it was enough to make me remember not to hot-dog even a little bit there again.

Last edited by RangeRat; 03-16-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
Did you check the rear swing arm for slop. Maybe something back there needs some attention.
I agree, have it checked to make sure all is within specs. The shimmy/wobble isn't bad, it's just something you notice in higher speed curves or on freeway ramps, etc. If your's was pronounced maybe something isn't right. Most likely though it's normal and you're just noticing it for the first time.

This phenomenon is gone in the '09 models...

Quick Reply: 1st Rear Steer "wobble" experience