Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Rear Steer "wobble" experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:35 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Our07Ultra
While riding some roads with some winding turns near Ocala in central Florida, I begin to experience a sensation that the rear of the bike is trying to go to the outside (right) of the (left)turn then comes back pulling slightly to the left and back repeatedly. This continued for about 8 seconds.
I was traveling at approximately 40 mph when this wobble occured. The loading was below the maximum load rating stated in all manuals for saddles and tour pak.
Immediately at this point I checked my rear view mirrow for traffic from behind...clear
The first thing that entered my mind was that I was in the process of loosing the air in the rear tire while the second thing was, thanks to the knowledge and experience of the people here at HDForums, the rear steer or wobble effect. I had never heard or experienced this on my 01 RK until I came across this site.
At this point during decelaration, I tried to place as much weight forward on the bike to ease the load off the rear tire if in fact tire pressure was dropping due to puncture, nail or other fault.
I pulled off to the side of the road and threw away my underwear...
The first thing I did (now stopped and off the bike) was look at the rear tire to see if it was low. It was hard to tell beacuse I was in the grass. Pulled out the handy tire gauge. Proper psi was noted on rear and front tire.
Suddenly it hit me..I bought the bike in North Carolina and was riding it back to Florida (unloaded. I had the same exact feeling when I was traveling the interstate through Charlotte. Being that this section of the road was striated (grooved)concrete..no problem. I have felt this before on similar concrete highways. As atated earlier, I had not heard of rear steer until I discovered this site.
In summary:
Rear steer or wobble occurred on two separate times under completely different riding conditions.
  • 55-65 mph no load in side bags or tour pak 1 up
  • 40mph with side bags and tour pack gear equiped 2 up
  • Both times in sweeping left turns
  • This now may require me to change the Title of this thread to Second Rear Steer "wobble" Experience
Now the question.. I have seen several stabilizing units here, Tru Trak etc.
Any comments, opinions will be greatly appreciated as the bike will remain inside until a stabilizing system is installed.
Thanks again for your knowledge and assistance.
I am somewhat confused. Please tell me what bike yu presently have either an 2001 Road King or a 2007 Ultra. The reason being the two bikes do not have the same swing arm mounting system.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 518 Likes on 361 Posts

Sounds like swing arm bushings to me . . . To have it happen at that slow of a speed.
Didn't they go to the beefier s/arm & rr/axle in 02?

Old 03-16-2009, 01:56 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I would do as suggested,check all things to be sure they are alright,neck bearing adjustment,motor mounts,swing arm bushings,good tires at correct pressure and alignment,then if all others are correct a brace will help and you will feel it right away.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:58 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Took bike to dealership and explained what I experienced. Tech was knowledgable in explaining the occasional wobble feeling and could relate. He also stated that this should not experienced around 40mph. Everything was inspected, motor mounts, torque, swing arm, bushings, shocks. He said that one motor mount was a little looser but not enough to cause problems. I am ordering a bagger brace.

I will keep riding until it arrives and is installed.
Thanks for your help on this one folks! Once again some very helpfull information here. See ya next post