Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some Motor Head advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Renegade
So reading between the line here it would be better to go with the Chain Cam setup, then I would not have to deal with the "RunOut" ??

Sorry about all the questions, i just want to do this right.

Bob
Bob, you don't need to read between the lines. Many choose gear drive because they don't want to mess with the tensioners after the cam swap. But the crank runout must be checked before using gears.

But many, like me, install new tensioners with the new cams. In my case, I didn't want the expense of the gears and I believed that I would build a larger engine before the new tensioners had enough miles on them to be concerned about their wear, and would change the HQ-0034 cams to something different at that time.

Nothing wrong with reusing the stock push rods; just a bit more labor to remove the rocker covers. Replacing the lifters is a good idea when doing a cam swap. Though slightly more expensive than the HD "B" stock lifters, I'd buy the Head-Quarters Black Ops lifters. Talk to Kevin or Doug at HQ about them.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look at the Kuyakyn Wild Things cams.
I would also suggest you consider installing the SE adjustable pushrods and a PCommander.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe to give a little more info here. I have a Stock un-touched 88. With true duals and a stage 1 AC, I have 80hp and 81tq on the dyno. The motor has just over 16,000 miles on it. I bought my SG new, and I have run Amsoil in it sense 1000 miles. I have a PC III. The Bike runs very well. I just has a Baker DD6 installed, and it has around a 1000 miles on it now.

I like the sounds of these HQ Cams, and I am learning things as I read what you folkd are tell me. I have a good Indy guy that takes care of my Harley of the service work, and any major add-on work. I trust him, and his rates are very fair.

If anyone else has any info on some of this stuff please feel free to reply. It looks like I should give HQ a call on the cams and talk to my Indy guy about the run-out before I order anything. Plus the tip on new lifters too. Anything else that I may need to buy here??

Thank you,

Bob

Old 03-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Renegade
It looks like I should give HQ a call on the cams
Just join their tech forum. A lot of imformation and you can ask questions there. I know Doug is busy in the shop and likes to do it this way.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:48 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
Just join their tech forum. A lot of imformation and you can ask questions there. I know Doug is busy in the shop and likes to do it this way.
I will look into that, I assume the tech forum is on their web site?

Bob

Old 03-18-2009, 07:00 AM
xtremechopper
Cruiser

Yes, the tech forum is on their website. There is a link on the left side of the page. +1 on the 0034 cams too. I could not be happier with them. And Doug and Kevin have been more than helpful with all of my questions it has only taken max of a day to get a reply from them on the forum and like everyone else has said they do not push their products but give yousound advise on which way to go. I too have true duals and can definately feel that I am losing a little down low but it is something I am willing to give up for the look and sound. But I can tell you with these cams you can definately feel the difference. Very smooth power in the low to mid range where most of us drive. It feels like a completely different bike now. I plan on going to the dyno in another week to get it tuned perfect but even with a slightly modded canned map this thing is a blast to ride and can pull sideways in second gear.
HQ has done their homework on their parts for the real world rider not the dyno which makes their parts different from the rest. Their design hits hard down low where we all need it where as others are in the higher rpm range. Take a look at the dyno sheets from others, most of theirs hit the peak tq at 4500+ where most of the Hq stuff hits peak around 3400.
Sorry about the long winded reply but I can not say enough good about this company, good luck and let me know if you would like any other info

Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 AM
jrhd1
Cruiser

I would call Kevin at Head Quarters, This guy is the best when it comes to building motors. I just built a 113 for my 03 RK with a Dark Horse bottom end. Then took it to Kevin to have it tuned and could not be happier.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

I was never able to get a hold of Kevin, but I ordered the HQ-0034 cams today. They should be here in a few days, and should be installed in a week or 2.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Bob, congrats on the purchase.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 PM
flhtupser
Tourer

I went with Andrews 26G gear drive cams on my "06 Ultra. Good power gain from around 2000 up to 5000. Woke up the pipes as well. A little noisier but runs really good. I went with adjustable pushrods and if doing it again I would go in through the top and re-use the stock pushrods.

Quick Reply: I need some Motor Head advice