Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 PM
wireman
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Noise?

I have a '98 RKC with about 14k., Power Commander, SC air cleaner. It's been running good but lately the fuel pump has been making strange noises. Sometimes when I turn the ignition on and it pumps up, that whine will fluctuate whereas normally, it's a constant pitch whine. Also, lately, when I roll off the throttle to begin slowing down, I can hear the fuel pump whereas I never heard that before. Then this morning, on the way to work, I pulled up to a light and it was going to stall, I kept it running and continued on to work, paying VERY close attention, and the next light I came to, it was normal again. Any ideas? Thanks.
wireman
KMC

Old 04-27-2006, 03:54 PM
navyman
Road Master
Default RE: Fuel Pump Noise?

You could have holes in the fuel line inside the tank. I had some of the same symptoms on my FLHRI. Dealer replaced the fuel line in the tank due to perferations in it. Problem solved. Hope this helps.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

From what you said, I'm assuming your RK is EFI? If so, I had a similar problem with my '02 RK when I had it. Turn out to be the fuel regulator inside the pump that was failing. When it failed on me, the bike stalled and jerked, due to fuel starvation. I ended up having it towed to a dealership for repair.

I would suggest you have your bike looked at (or tested) before something failed completely. It may also be something else, but the symtom you'd described sounded very familiar. Good luck!

Kahuna

ORIGINAL: wireman

I have a '98 RKC with about 14k., Power Commander, SC air cleaner. It's been running good but lately the fuel pump has been making strange noises. Sometimes when I turn the ignition on and it pumps up, that whine will fluctuate whereas normally, it's a constant pitch whine. Also, lately, when I roll off the throttle to begin slowing down, I can hear the fuel pump whereas I never heard that before. Then this morning, on the way to work, I pulled up to a light and it was going to stall, I kept it running and continued on to work, paying VERY close attention, and the next light I came to, it was normal again. Any ideas? Thanks.
wireman
KMC

Old 04-28-2006, 04:47 PM
Mike279
Novice

I had some noise when the ignition was turned on. It was kind of odd sounding and although the bike never acted funny I was concerned with the noise. I removed the fuel pump from the tank and found a small rubber cushion moved on the bottom of the pump. The pump is kind of spring loaded to keep it from bouncing around in there. The cushion had become dislodged and the pump was now contacting the tank. Kind of like tapping on a drum. Replaced the cushion and the odd noise stopped. Either way I would probably have it checked out. Between a possible hole in the lines to a bad regulator I would not want to take a chance. Mine just happened to be annoying.

Mike
01 SE Roadglide