Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing RKC Bars To WO508's

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Changing RKC Bars To WO508's

Had the stock bars on my new '09 RKC with ABS changed to the WO508 bars. Be forewarned. Be prepared. The brake line from the bar to the ABS unit is NOT long enough for the WO508's. If you make this change you'll have to find a brake line long enough. Harley does not carry a longer one. Lots of labor involved in changing the brake line, lots. The wiring needs to be lengthened too. It's not difficult. But takes several hours to do even with an extension kit. Finally, the hole in the WO508's for the electrical wires is a little too small. You'll have enlarge it.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:11 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you get it done? Where'd you end up getting the parts and what'd the project end up costing you? Details, please......

Old 03-15-2009, 01:27 PM
dredy2g
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyD
Did you get it done? Where'd you end up getting the parts and what'd the project end up costing you? Details, please......
Bro I did the same except I have 518's and it cost me minus the bars around $200 bought steel braided brake,idle, throttle, and clutch lines on the internet and a case of beer for my buddy (which I helped drink). my buddy is a certified HD mechanic and he does all my work.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:21 PM
weezo
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've still got 518's sitting on a shelf in the garage since last fall. Was quoted something like $700 to have them put on with all lines changed to stainless. Then we found out that the ABS lines needed to be longer and that was it.

The dilemma I'm facing is if I break the seal of the ABS circuit and lengthen the ABS lines using non-HD parts then I have pretty much written off the warranty on the brakes. Or at least that's how it sounds to me.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the 508's, and you'll be glad you did it. This summer when you're cruising on over to Sturgis, on those long straight aways, you can just lean back on the old backrest and think to yourself "Man, I'm so glad I put these bars on, they are the BOMB, and totally worth the Pain in the A## to make em right".... You're going love em, guaranteed!

Old 03-15-2009, 03:12 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 508's on mine last year. I ordered braided lines and cable extensions before I started. It is kinda pricey - sorry I don't recall how much. (Maybe I want to forget, I paid Canadian dollars.)

You will need to be very patient. There is a lot of scr*wing around with pins and connectors. I took many pictures as I went along so I wouldn't screw up the wiring. I did manage to break one of the connectors but I tie-wrapped it together and it's still holding.

The holes in the bars are large enough for the wires if you solder the wires together instead of using the pin connections that come with the wiring extensions. Be sure to cut the wires all at different lengths so there isn't a bulge where all the soldering is. BTW, the stock wiring ends at the exactly the same point they exit the bars so cutting the wires back was a necessity for me.

Took me most of the day, and then some. As I said, be very patient. When I was done I had no cruise control. I was taking the bike into the stealer for something else so I had them look at it. Turns out the throttle sensor had broken. It was probably something I had done but the stealer had pity on me and never charged me - they put it through on warranty.

Was it worth it? Oh yeah! I have a Corbin solo seat that sets me back a bit more than the stock seat and, although I'm almost 6 feet, my lower back was killing me reaching for the stock bars. Now I ride leaning back on the backrest with my feet up on the highway pegs for hours without any sore back. Kinda like riding in an easy chair.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:26 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I've got three different Corbins that I alternate with a backrest, and my sons call my bike the "Lazy Boy"... referring to the recliner. However on our last trip together, after about 11 hours of riding, my boy asked if he could ride the "Lazy Boy"... So I rest my case. Oh, yes I let him, while I was steering the Rocket Ship he was riding.... At the time it was a XXBlackbird. Then to Ducati 999, then 1098, now BMW 1200GS... When will he learn? But I digress... The Corbin and the 508's are a perfect match on the touring models.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

As I recall, with new cables my install (518's) ran about $700. The indy told me later that he considers installs on touring bikes to be the toughest. Well worth the expense though.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

For the cable/brake line and wire extension kits you can check out the site below. There may be other vendors but this one will give you an idea of what the parts will cost. Are you sitting down?

http://johnnyvaughn.com/Merchant2/me...&Store_Code=HD

The labor to do the entire job is about 4-6 hours depending on the method you choose to extend the wires clips or solder. You'll need 6" extensions.

Yes, the bars are excellent. I love them. No fault of WildOnes that the install is a pain and big expense. IMO the MOCO simply disregarded a need of its customers. Something I see a lot of lately.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:42 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bingee
For the cable/brake line and wire extension kits you can check out the site below. There may be other vendors but this one will give you an idea of what the parts will cost. Are you sitting down?

http://johnnyvaughn.com/Merchant2/me...&Store_Code=HD

The labor to do the entire job is about 4-6 hours depending on the method you choose to extend the wires clips or solder. You'll need 6" extensions.

Yes, the bars are excellent. I love them. No fault of WildOnes that the install is a pain and big expense. IMO the MOCO simply disregarded a need of its customers. Something I see a lot of lately.
Yeah, I conversed with Johnny last year about this time. The whole ABS brake line extension thing was still new, but he had them. I just decided to go with a different bar until the process has had time to be done by more people.

Soon ABS will be more prevalent and more Indy/HD shops will be doing the longer lines. I had better things to spend my money on at the time.