Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped the bike, but all is well.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009 | 10:45 AM
RomeoKilo
|
Cruiser
Default Dropped the bike, but all is well.

So my friend and I are riding to the dealer yesterday because I need to get the alarm working and he likes checking out the Harleys. We stop to get gas about 5 miles from the dealer, fill up all is going well. Well as i pull away from the pump i go to make a 180 degree turn to the right. Done it a million times before but this time I don't know what happened, either I hit some oil or sand or didn't apply enough gas but the bike just went plop over onto the crash guard. It happened real fast but at the last minute i extended my leg to try to keep it from hitting the ground, no dice. I was just sitting there straddling my bike which was laying on its side thinking damn, Im such an idiot! Well my friend gets off his bike and another guy runs over and we quickly pick it back up. I look over the bike and the engine guard is scratched on the bottom corner, the rear mount on my floorboard is pretty scarred up, and the saddle bag is scratched on the bottom corner. I didn't notice the saddle bag at first because you have to kneel down and look under to see it. So anyway I was pretty pissed at myself and to some point still am. I got online when I got home and ordered a new mount for the floorboard, a new black pearl saddle bag bottom and got a new oem engine guard on ebay for a very good price. All in all the stupid mistake cost me $300 bucks. Not too bad definitely could of been a lot worse. I was just gonna get the saddle bag repainted but that would of cost $150 and the new one was $212 from the factory. I'll probobally try to sell the old one on ebay or something. The floorboard mount was $28 and the crash guard was $80. My wife told me I was silly for replacing the parts because she looked at the bike and didn't see the damage till I took a knee and pointed it out. Oh well not sure why I posted this just been feeling pissed at myself and wanted to vent a little, thanks for listening.

Last edited by RomeoKilo; 03-15-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-15-2009 | 10:49 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Glad you're ok and there was minimal damage. Get the engine guard powdercoated and resell it along with the saddlebag.

Old 03-15-2009 | 10:53 AM
crash1292
Banned

done that...only scratched my tank picking it back up....fkn chain drive wallets

Old 03-15-2009 | 11:06 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior

Glad you were not injured. I am waiting to get my bike back from the dealer, I dropped mine in a slow left hand turn. I know what you mean about the things that you have to get on you knee to see, all those little things that you will know about if you don't replace. Hope all turns out well with you ride and ride safe, riding season is just about to get goin for some of us

Old 03-15-2009 | 11:12 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

do u think having the saddle bag rear gaurds would of helped to minimize damage ?

Old 03-15-2009 | 08:50 PM
RomeoKilo
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by papifun
do u think having the saddle bag rear gaurds would of helped to minimize damage ?
Yeah it would of kept the saddle bag from hitting. I think I might invest in some of those.

Old 03-15-2009 | 09:00 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior

There is nothing wrong with replacing stuff that no one sees, once you notice it, you will always notice it, so you are better off getting it fixed! And glad to hear that you are ok... you could of really hurt yourself, its that trying to put your foot down at the last second that you could of easy broke you leg or something else... glad to hear only minimal damage and no injury except for your pride...

Old 03-15-2009 | 09:09 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

Did something similar with my bike... was trying to back a little in a turn. My foot slipped and down I went. My friend jumped off his bike to help, but I already had it back up by the time he got to me. Used the method shown in Ride Like A Pro... works like a charm.

On a side note, a friend of mine (he's 70) who rides a Yamaha C3 scooter, dropped it in the parking lot of his work. Said he had a hell of a time picking it up. I showed him how I picked my bike up, and he said he was going to try it if he drops his scoot again...