Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to put 6x9 speakers in the bags

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 09:41 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default how to put 6x9 speakers in the bags

1. place speakers on the outside of bag to mark holes for the speaker mounting screws (use the largest screws that will go thru the speaker mounting holes) and draw a line around the speakers; you will have to drill the holes for the mounting srews using a bit the same size at the mounting screws note: you want this to be a tight fit

2. drill holes insuring speaker will fit off the bottom of the bag 1/2 inch from the saddlebag locking pins at anangle see picture #3--if the tweeter on the speakers are farther out you will have to use spacers for the speakers--use good two way speakers for this

3. drill holes inside of the speaker mounting holes in a diamond pattern inside of the speaker outline; make sure you do not exceed 1/2 inch to the speaker outline

4. repeat for the other saddlebag

5. mount speakers with the screws facing inside the bags; use washers, nuts and blue loctite--do not use the screws that come with speakers, they are two small and will not hold up

6. if you use an alpine amp(PDX 150x4) it mounts perfectly at the saddlebag latch screws---take the saddlebag latch screws out and replace with 1 1/2 screws--they go thru the amp mounting holes into the saddlebag latch retaining holes

7. you need detachable wires; use trailer hitch wires for the amp -- the largest you can find.

good quality thick wires are must for a good sounding system -- make sure the wires are the exact length -- use plastic wire ties on all wires--wires should follow the frame

there are several ways of doing this -- this is the way I have done it on three different bikes so far no problems

car audio shop can do this -- make sure all wires are detachable--the fewer breaks in the wires the better the system

The following users liked this post:
flcusat (08-21-2016)
Old 03-15-2009, 10:20 AM
awmllc2000
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Always was interested in these details...Thanks!

Old 03-15-2009, 11:06 AM
jackinthebox
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the pics and write up. I want to do the same thing to my ride

Old 03-15-2009, 12:28 PM
dredy2g
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write up. I'll start my speaker project in the next week or 2.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Lyn, thanks for the write-up and pics. You do nice work!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Pork-Chop
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good work, but if you want to run 2 speakers on each bag, where do the others 2 go? on the front side? won't the screws show? also how will you wire them since you'll have 2 speakers per channel?

Thanks

~J

Old 04-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevere
good work, but if you want to run 2 speakers on each bag, where do the others 2 go? on the front side? won't the screws show? also how will you wire them since you'll have 2 speakers per channel?

Thanks

~J
click on the links in my signature....

nice write up lkr

Last edited by Gtsdesigns; 04-29-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's really cool Lyn!

I'm SURE it ROCKs when you're parked, but how does it sound "on the road"?

One other thing... Be sure you strategically place the amp & speakers & it'll make that balance point easier to hit on those looooonnnnggggg wheelies!!!!

Old 04-29-2009, 10:10 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

Phil,

i was out at bike nite tonight -- you know I had to do it -- I am getting real good at controling how high to get the front wheel off the ground--still don't have the EASY landings down yet.

The sound is amazing -- you can blast it on the highway and have your personnal concert without disturbing anyone -- I have to make sure it's turned down when I start it, that is the best way to blow speakers is having it full blast -- scared the chit out of myself a couple of times.

for some reason I cannot get the bike sideways--it only want's to go up in the air -- when I wear this tire out I may go to a 170 (if they make one) to see if that's keeping from getting sideways --

disclaimer: I do not condone nor endorse anyone operating a motor vehicle in a reckless manner --- you have to practice in an open lot before trying any stunting in the street

Originally Posted by PhilM
That's really cool Lyn!

I'm SURE it ROCKs when you're parked, but how does it sound "on the road"?

One other thing... Be sure you strategically place the amp & speakers & it'll make that balance point easier to hit on those looooonnnnggggg wheelies!!!!

Last edited by lkr0; 04-29-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:14 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

the front speaker go in the same way -- you will need half spacers to get past the hump in the saddlebag -- use 1/4 inch 6x9 spacers (from any audio shop) or make them out of wood -- do not put speakers in the front of the saddlebags; all kinds of crap will blow in there to include massive amounts of water when riding in the rain -- this guy sells spacers damon evans I will have to find his web address but I think they are way overpriced
Originally Posted by Chevere

Thanks

~J

Last edited by lkr0; 04-29-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: how to put 6x9 speakers in the bags