Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to put 6x9 speakers in the bags

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:58 PM
eds06roadglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two speaker set up

This is a great post... Here is a two spewaker set up.. I just used longer bolts.. and no spacers. My logic was to give just a little clearance for the rain and what not. Chit I don't know it works great and I think for a bone head it turned out fairly clean..

Attached Thumbnails how to put 6x9 speakers in the bags-sdc17972.jpg   how to put 6x9 speakers in the bags-sdc17968.jpg   how to put 6x9 speakers in the bags-sdc17973.jpg  
Old 06-02-2011, 02:41 AM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

very interresting, thanks for sharing

Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 AM
scottybazo
Stage II

hey cool writeup,im currently in the process of doing my sound system,but what size diameter did u drill for the sound holes in the bags.I was considering about 3/8"

Old 08-19-2012, 10:18 AM
scottybazo
Stage II

totally cool writeup.Im currently in the process of doing my sound system on my Roadking,my question is what size diameter sound holes did u drill? i was considering somewhere around 5/16"-3/8" what did u use or suggest? thanks

Old 03-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Bstreetglide
6th Gear

I have the JL M400/4 amp put in 14' SGS and it's in the fairing along with Coax HCX 165 hertz speakers in the fairing... big sound. Working on getting speakers put in in bags sides.

Originally Posted by goatfarmer1970
Lyn: Which JL Audio amp did you fit in the fairing of the SG? Also, anyone, know what is the biggest 4-channel amp that fits in the SG fairing? I am interested in the ARC 125.4 and JL Audio M400/4, but cannot confirm they fit. Can anyone help please? Also, any ideas on where to fit another pair of 5.25 coaxials in the fairing or generally "up front" without springing for expensive lowers? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:36 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

Ok, i dont get it.

Its a bagger, you carry stuff in the bags. But you've put speakers in them taking up space

Where do you carry stuff?

Are you putting your stuff in a tour pack strapping it to the bike or what?

My bags are normally full of stuff like tools, rain gear, leathers, etc.
I like my stereo as much as the next guy, but seems like speakers inside the bags forces you to look elsewhere for storage space. How much space do you actually lose?

Old 03-05-2015, 04:17 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

exactly how I did mine - excellent write up
Originally Posted by lkr0
1. place speakers on the outside of bag to mark holes for the speaker mounting screws (use the largest screws that will go thru the speaker mounting holes) and draw a line around the speakers; you will have to drill the holes for the mounting srews using a bit the same size at the mounting screws note: you want this to be a tight fit

2. drill holes insuring speaker will fit off the bottom of the bag 1/2 inch from the saddlebag locking pins at anangle see picture #3--if the tweeter on the speakers are farther out you will have to use spacers for the speakers--use good two way speakers for this

3. drill holes inside of the speaker mounting holes in a diamond pattern inside of the speaker outline; make sure you do not exceed 1/2 inch to the speaker outline

4. repeat for the other saddlebag

5. mount speakers with the screws facing inside the bags; use washers, nuts and blue loctite--do not use the screws that come with speakers, they are two small and will not hold up

6. if you use an alpine amp(PDX 150x4) it mounts perfectly at the saddlebag latch screws---take the saddlebag latch screws out and replace with 1 1/2 screws--they go thru the amp mounting holes into the saddlebag latch retaining holes

7. you need detachable wires; use trailer hitch wires for the amp -- the largest you can find.

good quality thick wires are must for a good sounding system -- make sure the wires are the exact length -- use plastic wire ties on all wires--wires should follow the frame

there are several ways of doing this -- this is the way I have done it on three different bikes so far no problems

car audio shop can do this -- make sure all wires are detachable--the fewer breaks in the wires the better the system

Old 07-25-2015, 10:27 AM
dproto09
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you mount speaker like this do you get water inside the bag when riding in the rain? Also will have cloth and stuff inside the bag damage the speaker? I'm thinking about cutting into the bag versus spending an extra $700 between bag and paint for lids.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:03 PM
WallyWhite
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure anyone is still watching this thread but I'd echo the last two questions posed here. I'd love to put 6x9s in the bags but I also usually have a bunch of crap in my bags. I take longer trips and just don't know if the trade off is worth it. I suppose it does just depend on each of our priorities. For those that have done it this way, do you get a lot of water in the bags when it rains? Not sure how that'd work if its coming down and you've got the Mrs' purse, extra glove,s clothes etc. In the bags. With winter coming here in MN I've got s free months to play with the bike on the lift, just not sure if this route is best or not. Anyone else have any input? Thanks guys.