Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21 inch wheel? Handling? Ride? Lower?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009 | 10:29 PM
cali beemer
|
Novice
Default 21 inch wheel? Handling? Ride? Lower?

Okay, I am new to this forum site and as you may guess by the signature I dont have a Harley. I am posting this for my father whom has a 2008 Street Glide. He is being heavily persuaded with the idea of putting a 21 inch front wheel on it. My initial concern is he will be jacking up the handling of his noce new harley. However, after doign some searching here it sees that many are happy with the handling after the 21 inch. So, does the front end need to be lowered in order to do the 21's? It seems everyone has done thatafter install. What is the ride like after the lowering? Is the lowering just subtracting the 2 inches (or whatever the amount is) from the suspension travel? or are there kits that keep full wheel travel after the lowering? I cant imagine the bike would ride as smooth after lowering it compared to stock. So, I guees what I am after, is whats involved with the switch and what are the results in terms of handling/ride quality. Also, when people speek of the bike handling better afterward, what eactly is better? just less firmer feeling around turn? quicker steering? less input form bumps?

Thank you in adavance for any replies. I would hate to see my dad spend 3k dollars on something that had a negative affect on such a sweet ride.

Old 03-14-2009 | 10:49 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior

I've only put 1200 mi on my 08 since the switch to 21/18 combo, but I'm very pleased with it. Have not lowered the front end. Ride is only slightly more firm feeling, due to shorter sidewalls. Handleing seems somewhat quicker,also due to shorter sidewalls IMO. Everyone comments on how much different the bike looks with the new wheels. At least I can find it if the other 2999 Anny bikes happen to show up somewhere

Attached Thumbnails 21 inch wheel? Handling? Ride? Lower?-photo002.jpg  
Old 03-15-2009 | 12:20 AM
cali beemer
|
Novice

Originally Posted by DuraGlide
I've only put 1200 mi on my 08 since the switch to 21/18 combo, but I'm very pleased with it. Have not lowered the front end. Ride is only slightly more firm feeling, due to shorter sidewalls. Handleing seems somewhat quicker,also due to shorter sidewalls IMO. Everyone comments on how much different the bike looks with the new wheels. At least I can find it if the other 2999 Anny bikes happen to show up somewhere
I appreciate the response. I dont think there will ever be the debate on wether or not the 21" set up looks good. Some of these baggers with 21" rims are sweet.

Old 03-15-2009 | 05:20 AM
strtrod
Intermediate

I have the 21/18 set up and like it alot. With stock lowers you may have to adjust rear hole in fender. very easy . it will be the biggest & best upgrade u do. next to a little motor and speaker upgrade. hogpro.com///// and renegade wheels you can click differnt styles and see what you like. hogpro lowers have fender 2 places for fender and look good

Old 03-15-2009 | 12:52 PM
uweldit
Road Captain

With the 21 wheel, the low speed steering will feel "heavier". Out in traffic, it rides great.

Old 03-15-2009 | 03:27 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

7,600 miles on my 21 and lowerd 1 7/8 rides nice would not go back stock

Old 03-15-2009 | 05:33 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Everyone that I've heard from really seem to like the 21" wheel up front. Many go to the 18" rear, but some have kept the 16" rear, and lowered the front. There's so doubt that the 21" front wheel has a great look and obvious appeal. And I'm wondering if this isn't one of those things that you just have to "feel" to appreciate. Kind of like the stabilizers that you hear so much about. You need to experience the "before" and "after" to really GET IT. At least I think so. So with that said, you might try and find some of your Dad's friends that are doing all this recommending to him to have it done, and request that he be allowed to ride theirs, to see how it "feels" to him. Remember much, if not all of this is so subjective, that beauty, or performance for that matter, is in the eye (or seat) of the beholder.