Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power commander

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 04:19 AM
onebigdog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power commander

guys i have a stock 06 rkcustom with 130 miles im noticeing a little surging at cruise speeds if i put the commander in have it dynoed will this help and benifit me a little even thought its stock thanks in advance by the way 2 when 2 of my buddies saw my bike one went and orderd a stree glide and the other a blue rkcustom (riding buddys)

Old 04-27-2006, 10:45 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: power commander

If you are going with a PCIII you might as well do a full stage one. There will be a very noticeable difference if tuned precisely. If you wanna stay stock, get the dealer to check your bike.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:53 PM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

onebigdog,
Congratulations on the new bike -- and getting your pals on board. Could you describe what surging is? While breaking in you shouldn't hold a steady speed for very long periods like you can with a broken-in engine. The manual recommends varying the speeds. This will relieve stress points in the new engine as it wears in.

With only 130 m on your bike, it isn't beginning to get broken in. I'd recommend you don't fiddle with anything at this stage or risk screwing up what probably is a really fine motorcycle. Dyno tuning is expensive and stressful in the wrong hands. EFI modification without experience and training is asking for problems, despite what the vendors say is a no-brainer, do-it-yourself operation. Read some of the other posts on this forum and you'll see how many problems some riders make for themselves when they get into the game of efi/dyno tuning. You have to ask yourself: Do I want to spend my money and time fiddling around with a bunch of electronic and fuel gizmos or do I want to ride?

Old 04-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Topper
Road Captain

Congrats on the new ride......Probably is a bit premature to start making big changes unless you want to let loose of some dough. I did nothing mech. wise to my bike until about 500 or so miles were on it. A new motor will be tight and that may be the surging you are feeling, ride it a couple hundred miles and it may go away. If it feels unsafe, like BH says, get it back to the dealer. I have had my bike dyno tuned twice so far and it was by no means stressfull. Actually enjoyed the gains from a quality dyno tuner. Most problems occur because people change exhaust, A/C, etc............. without a dyno being done. Enjoy the new scoot

Old 04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

I agree with RB completely! Your mileage is still low, and you are still in the Break-In period. I wouldn't use the CC for a while, as you need to vary your speed and RPM during break in.

Regarding the performance stuff, I would ride it stock for at least 1k, before doing any kind of enhancement. After you have your 1k service done, start looking at your budget and research the type of items you want for your bike. The RC custom is an awesome bike, and you'll have plenty of time to modify and upgrade to your liking. Most of the people on this forum have a wealth of knowledge and they are here to help!

Good luck!

ORIGINAL: RBJones

onebigdog,
Congratulations on the new bike -- and getting your pals on board. Could you describe what surging is? While breaking in you shouldn't hold a steady speed for very long periods like you can with a broken-in engine. The manual recommends varying the speeds. This will relieve stress points in the new engine as it wears in.

With only 130 m on your bike, it isn't beginning to get broken in. I'd recommend you don't fiddle with anything at this stage or risk screwing up what probably is a really fine motorcycle. Dyno tuning is expensive and stressful in the wrong hands. EFI modification without experience and training is asking for problems, despite what the vendors say is a no-brainer, do-it-yourself operation. Read some of the other posts on this forum and you'll see how many problems some riders make for themselves when they get into the game of efi/dyno tuning. You have to ask yourself: Do I want to spend my money and time fiddling around with a bunch of electronic and fuel gizmos or do I want to ride?

Old 04-28-2006, 01:57 AM
onebigdog
Intermediate

i really dont want to change a thing i love the bike the way it is the surging is at any steady speed like 30 or35 and so on im varying my speeds but when the limit is 40 thats what i do cant go into 5th rpms get to low dealer said keep them between 2 to 25 hundred it is really slight but i can notice it i have always had the ear for slight variations in sound but this is my first new bike and dont know really what to exspect in the breakin stage

Old 04-28-2006, 03:39 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Some of that surging may be from running at the very low rpms in too high a gear. Take a look at the manual. Sounds like your dealer may be playing it a little conservative on the break-in. I agree with post above, if your gut feeling is that there's something wrong, let the dealer know about it.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:26 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

I hate to say this, but when what the bike built? Maybe you have one of the bikes with the 8 degree injectors, and what you are felling is a lean condition. The surging can be a sign off a lean condition.

Bob

Old 04-28-2006, 02:57 PM
onebigdog
Intermediate

its got the 25deg cvo injecters but i did notice the pipes under the heat shields are blue already over 200 miles on it now

Old 04-28-2006, 11:11 PM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain

If you decide on a PCIII usb...DONT spend the money on the HD ECM stage one download. PCIII has the rev limiter and fuel customizations now. So keep the $150 and skip the HD download.