Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009 | 12:50 PM
briggs07
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dpa
Just finished the oil cooler install and took it for a ride so far so good. The thermostat has not opened up yet so I have an extra quart of oil and a funnel in the bag for when it does open.

The gasket was a little hard to get in the correct spot hope it does not leak. The directions indicated moving some wires that were not where the directions said they should be anybody else run into this?

Thanks again for the help.
I just did mine yesterday. I had the same problem with the wiring. Just routed them inside the regulator legs. But i let my bike sit and idle till my temp gauge got up to normal operating temp (took atleast 15 minutes) and it started leaking at the oil cooler adapter gasket. I originally tightened the adapter bolt to the recomended 16 ft lbs. Took it all back apart to make sure the gasket was seated correctly and then retightened the bolt tighter then the 16 ft lbs and so far seems to be no leaks. Though i did get some drips, im hoping its just oil that dripped on the frame when I took the filter back off. Fingers crossed!

Old 03-21-2009 | 01:03 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
Holy crap...you are one lucky dude! You are like one of two I've heard of that's been able to find that socket. The socket will work. Not sure about the adapter as I used the McEwen gauge and it comes with it's own adapter. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
How does that McEwan gauge match up cosmetically to the other gauges on your SG? Just curious.

Old 03-27-2009 | 04:43 PM
deezee
Cruiser

Originally Posted by iclick
How does that McEwan gauge match up cosmetically to the other gauges on your SG? Just curious.

PERFECTLY. The only flaw that I can see is that the McEwan has a slightly oversized center in the gauge which lets a small ring of light through the center of the dial.....not a big deal at all. Instead of sayin HD at the bottom of the gauge, it says McEwan........but you cant tell unless you know what youre looking for.

Old 08-13-2011 | 10:16 AM
ghostflamed
Road Captain

Sorry for reviving a pretty old thread but I am ready to install the HD oil cooler and dash gauge in my 09 FLTR Road Glide. I'll install the sender in the oil pan as recommended by most. Besides the adapter I will need at Napa, etc for the sending unit to mount in the oil pan drain is this the complete set-up from HD that I will need?:

Premium Oil Cooler Kit - 26155-09
Gauge - 75324-05A

Thanks gents!

Old 08-13-2011 | 10:35 AM
The Q
Road Warrior

IIRC everything you need parts wise comes in the two kit. As for the 7/16 hex socket, if you have a torx bit socket set you may already have what you need to install and torque the filter adapter as one of the large torx bit sockets is 7/16 in size.

Old 08-13-2011 | 10:59 AM
ghostflamed
Road Captain

Thanks Q! Somebody posted that this is the adapter I will need for the oil pan:

https://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/%2...SKU=2147006074

Hoping someone can confirm if this is the right part for the 2009 bikes. I believe the OP was referring to an older machine.

Old 08-13-2011 | 11:35 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain

I installed the 75365-04A oil temperature gauge kit and the 26155-09 oil cooler kit on my bike in August of 2009 and the gauge kit came with everything needed to install the sender unit in the oil pan next to the drain plug. I did not have to buy any other adapters. Check the instructions and your kit to see if it says anything about needing an adapter.

Using the correct Allen type socket would appear to be much easier than trying to make a bolt head do the job. If you cannot find one locally, go to the Sears web site and order one and wait a couple days.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

I recently took off the HD cooler and installed the fan assisted cooler from Jagg. I mostly changed the cooler because I wanted the fan assist. After I did the change, I discovered the Jagg cooler ran 10-20° cooler when riding down the road. The fan does help keep the oil temperature from rising as fast when stuck in traffic also.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2011 | 11:50 AM
EaglesRfree
Intermediate

did mine install earlier this summer. heard of several people having leaks at the adapter after it was all torqed up to specs ... used a little high temp silicone gasket sealer on the gasket ... just a film is needed not a heavy bead, it will also assist in keeping the gasket in place while mounting before torqing, pay particular attention to your hose routing before tightening the worm clamps, keeping them clear of the downtubes to prevent any chaffing of the hoses. Used the 7/16 bolt double nutted to torque it up ... had those on hand and didn't feel like chasing around for the allen

Old 08-13-2011 | 02:03 PM
ghostflamed
Road Captain

Noting a coupla things about your post...

You reference a different gauge kit than I listed (?) Perhaps that's just a difference from FLH to FLT?

Also..."install the sender in the oil pan next to the drain plug"? I understood it went in the actual drain plug but was threaded differently, thereby needing the adapter I made reference to above (?)

Originally Posted by Morris9982
I installed the 75365-04A oil temperature gauge kit and the 26155-09 oil cooler kit on my bike in August of 2009 and the gauge kit came with everything needed to install the sender unit in the oil pan next to the drain plug. I did not have to buy any other adapters. Check the instructions and your kit to see if it says anything about needing an adapter.

Using the correct Allen type socket would appear to be much easier than trying to make a bolt head do the job. If you cannot find one locally, go to the Sears web site and order one and wait a couple days.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...1&blockType=G1

I recently took off the HD cooler and installed the fan assisted cooler from Jagg. I mostly changed the cooler because I wanted the fan assist. After I did the change, I discovered the Jagg cooler ran 10-20° cooler when riding down the road. The fan does help keep the oil temperature from rising as fast when stuck in traffic also.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2011 | 03:38 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ghostflamed
Noting a coupla things about your post...

You reference a different gauge kit than I listed (?) Perhaps that's just a difference from FLH to FLT?

Also..."install the sender in the oil pan next to the drain plug"? I understood it went in the actual drain plug but was threaded differently, thereby needing the adapter I made reference to above (?)
I had the incorrect number in my records for the oil pressure gauge. I went back and checked the original papers and the correct number was 75265-04A. This was a black face gauge. The number you gave was 75324-05A, which is a silver face gauge.

Below is a link to the HD web site for the installation of the gauges. It shows a diagram of the oil pan and shows the location of the temperature sensor next to the drain plug. All parts for installing the sensor are supposed to be in the kit.

Sorry about the wrong part number.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J04790.pdf

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler install question