Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler install question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009 | 09:14 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member

let us know how the install goes...

Old 03-16-2009 | 10:35 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by dpa
Thanks. Sorry for all the dumb questions.

I stopped by Menards and found this will it work?
Holy crap...you are one lucky dude! You are like one of two I've heard of that's been able to find that socket. The socket will work. Not sure about the adapter as I used the McEwen gauge and it comes with it's own adapter. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Don't worry about the questions...we all gotta start somewhere. Ask away if you need to and someday you'll be answering others questions!

Old 03-16-2009 | 10:46 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Please note!!! While the adapter for the temperature guage and oil cooler look the same they are not! The adapter for the oil temp guage allows oil to flow through the adapter and the adapter for the oil cooler has a thermostat. The adapters are different part numbers.

Old 03-16-2009 | 10:54 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by GT_RoadGlide
Please note!!! While the adapter for the temperature guage and oil cooler look the same they are not! The adapter for the oil temp guage allows oil to flow through the adapter and the adapter for the oil cooler has a thermostat. The adapters are different part numbers.
Yes, the oil filter adapter is included in the HD Premium Oil Cooler kit. Use that one. This is the one that takes the 7/16 allen socket.

The adapter we were talking about above is the one for installing the gauge in the oil pan.

Old 03-17-2009 | 01:24 AM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member

So does that mean I could use my left over oil temp adapter with an oil cooler, and a cover for cooler days? I'm don't think I'm a fan of thermostats.

Old 03-17-2009 | 06:27 PM
takeiteasy
|
Cruiser

Thanks I am going to take the adapter that is on there off and move the temperature sender to the pan. I have to wait until the oil cooler comes from Chicago Harley before I can start. Hopefully won't be long but we all know when you want it it will take two weeks.

Thanks for the help I will let you know how it goes.

Old 03-18-2009 | 09:40 PM
takeiteasy
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
Holy crap...you are one lucky dude! You are like one of two I've heard of that's been able to find that socket. The socket will work. Not sure about the adapter as I used the McEwen gauge and it comes with it's own adapter. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Don't worry about the questions...we all gotta start somewhere. Ask away if you need to and someday you'll be answering others questions!
Sears sells these sockets also http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00992602000P

I was at sears the other day and they had a spot for them but they were out.

I moved the sensor from the hd location to the pan. The adapter and hex key worked well. Now just waiting for the oil cooler to get here. Thanks for all the help.

Old 03-20-2009 | 09:14 PM
takeiteasy
|
Cruiser

Just finished the oil cooler install and took it for a ride so far so good. The thermostat has not opened up yet so I have an extra quart of oil and a funnel in the bag for when it does open.

The gasket was a little hard to get in the correct spot hope it does not leak. The directions indicated moving some wires that were not where the directions said they should be anybody else run into this?

Thanks again for the help.

Old 03-20-2009 | 09:27 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by dpa
Just finished the oil cooler install and took it for a ride so far so good. The thermostat has not opened up yet so I have an extra quart of oil and a funnel in the bag for when it does open.

The gasket was a little hard to get in the correct spot hope it does not leak. The directions indicated moving some wires that were not where the directions said they should be anybody else run into this?

Thanks again for the help.
How long did you try to peel the "light colored" backing off the gasket before you realized it wouldn't come off?

I remember thinking the same thing about getting the gasket in place and the "ghost" wire bundle mentioned in the directions...

As long as you have good oil pressure and no real drop in pressure when the oil cooler thermostat opens then you should be just fine. Takes a while to get up to temp don't it.

Old 03-20-2009 | 09:31 PM
takeiteasy
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
How long did you try to peel the "light colored" backing off the gasket before you realized it wouldn't come off?
A couple of minutes then I stopped and looked at it for a while and figured it must be the one without the sticky back. I think they write these directions then LAO while they think about the DIY guy trying to figure it all out.

I did route the wires from the regulator behind the legs, we will see how it goes.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler install question