Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Heritage Style" handlebar on RKC - An Oberservation

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009 | 12:10 PM
rcoleg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the heritage style bars on my 09 roadking and they are great. I had to pull them back quite a bit, but that is what I was wanting is the bars closer to me. I have not noticed any problem with the angle of the wrist.

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:49 PM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Today I purchased the Heritage style handlebars part# 56902-08 for my 08 FLHR. The stock bars were giving me pain between the shoulder blades. Tried lowering, hit my knees in tight turns. Up, crazy feeling angle and not comfortable at all. I hope these are the ticket I'm looking for. I'm still not crazy about their looks......... I'll have a quick review tomorrow or Friday after I put them on. Hopefully in 2-3 hours since my it's first time doing this with Service Manual assistance.

Old 05-27-2009 | 07:53 PM
tencrore
Tourer

Originally Posted by wagsrk08
Today I purchased the Heritage style handlebars part# 56902-08 for my 08 FLHR. The stock bars were giving me pain between the shoulder blades. Tried lowering, hit my knees in tight turns. Up, crazy feeling angle and not comfortable at all. I hope these are the ticket I'm looking for. I'm still not crazy about their looks......... I'll have a quick review tomorrow or Friday after I put them on. Hopefully in 2-3 hours since my it's first time doing this with Service Manual assistance.

If that does not help with the problem, my suggestion is the WO513's by Wild One's. Quite a bit more money than the Heritage bars, but they fit me well (6'1") and they look good. They align with the fork tubes.

Good Luck.

Old 05-27-2009 | 08:32 PM
Yojimbo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default happy with mine

I put the Heritage-style bars on my 09 RK so I could sit more upright. The original bars pulled me too far forward and now I can ride for hours without back/neck discomfort. I'm 6-1 and a 33 inseam and the bike is much more comfortable for me now than it was originally. Next is the tuner and pipes for more power and less heat!

Old 05-27-2009 | 10:01 PM
wagsrk08
Road Captain

Yojimbo: I'm 6'2" tall with a 34 inseam. I hope this combination works.

Old 05-28-2009 | 05:57 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

About the Heritage-type bars from Harley:

Originally Posted by bamorris2
Do you have a profile (side) shot of your bars? I'm interested in seeing how far back you have them.
When I put them on I made them come back to my normal reach so I wasn't concerned with how cool they looked. I wanted them to fit me right. They fit me like a hand tailored suit. YMMV

Old 05-28-2009 | 07:24 AM
kman780
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the Heritage style bars on my 06 RK about 2 weeks ago and love them. They are so much better than the stock ones. Took a little adjusting but have them set up pretty well now. I have to change out my bushings on the risers and straighten them out a little but they are much better. I put about 500 miles on the bike since the install, one ride was solo for about 4 hours, no problems (except it was 35 in the mountains when I started the long trip).

Old 05-28-2009 | 08:24 AM
Certified Drunk
Tourer

Now I really don't know what bars I want!
First I want Apes, but after thinking about that I have hurt both shoulder, maybe not
Than I want cruiser bars, but I don't like the angle for your hands.
The heritage bars don't look right on the King by the pictures posted.

Old 05-28-2009 | 08:58 AM
2WheelThrill
Tourer

Originally Posted by sparky_mo
Here is a pic of my '07 with the reduced reach handlebar. Much more comfortable than stock. I have them pulled back as far as they will go. I did have a wire extension kit installed for them. Had them installed soon after I bought the bike. I would like to go with baby apes because I like the look but I can ride all day with the reduced reach bars with no wrist or back pain so I am hesitant to change.

Hey, how tall are you and what is your sleeve size/arm length?

Old 05-28-2009 | 06:49 PM
wagsrk08
Road Captain

Sweet pictures 2WheelThrill! Today I installed the Heritage Sytle FLHR handlebars part no. 56902-08. Took me about 3.5 hours since I'm new at this (and read the service manual twice for each step). No problems what so ever installing.

Took it for a short ride and have to say not bad...... I could be doing some adjusting within the next few days, maybe. The feel is a lot different than stock, but I can now bend my elbows and also have my hands higher (I'm 6'2" tall with a 34" inseam) and more forward it feels like. Wrist angle so far is not an issue. We'll see after about a 250 mile coming up next weekend.

I have to admit it's still somewhat different than sitting on a Heritage Softail or Police Bike FLHR in comparison concerning handlebar angle and pull back. Hard to explain but I can tell a difference. My bars are now adjusted at the same angle as my fork angle for a starting point reference (long arms).

I'll keep you posted on final thoughts in a couple weeks.

Quick Reply: "Heritage Style" handlebar on RKC - An Oberservation