Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Heritage Style" handlebar on RKC - An Oberservation

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012 | 03:39 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,367 Likes on 1,877 Posts

I posed on another thread earlier today about putting a set of RG Sport bars on an '03 RG.
They significantly reduce the reach and the stock cables, wiring and brake line do not have to be changed but the brake line does have to be reshaped a bit.

Old 04-26-2012 | 07:04 PM
Jim2012FLHRC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glockcubed HD makes a nacelle cover for their street slammer bars that you can put risers in this would let you bring the bars back it would also make them a little higher but riser selection is wide I am sure you could find something that would work.

Old 05-24-2012 | 08:55 PM
jaxbeachbadger
Cruiser

Ok, just read all FIFTEEN @X!&$@** pages of this thread. Before I saw the OP, I thought that one of the major reasons for switching out the stock RK handlebars was the weird wrist angle of the Wheel Barrow effect of those bars (and I've done a lot of research on it). Don't they have something like a 60 degree wrist angle versus a 28 or 35 degree of the bars that are more like the Heritage bars??

I'm looking to upgrade to a ride that lets my awful back and neck go more than 150 miles on my 1200C Sportster. Looking at RK, Heritage, Fat Boy Lo and, recently, given all the raves, a Road Glide--although I haven't ridden the latter. Loved the RK, but after an hour or so, my hands became so numb that I had to pull off the road to get the feeling back. I've had minor issues with the numbness with my Sportster, but nothing like this. After reading this thread, I went down to our condo garage, where I and my wife (proud owner of a nightster with mini-apes) and a neighbor who has a RK, share a parking spot. I sat on all three bikes. On the RK, my wrist was definitely cocked outward, on my 1200C there was a slight wrist **** outward, and on the nightster with the mini-apes, the wrists were aligned with the angle of the forearm (which I believe is the most wrist-friendly angle).

So, again, I don't understand the OPs comment about the weird wrist angle--it seems the stock RK bars have the weirdest wrist angle of any...

Side Q from my research--any thoughts on Helibars???

Old 09-12-2012 | 10:13 PM
HMSroad05
5th Gear

Same fore me Hate wrist geometry. Not bad @ first but after awhile hands are not happy. Also looking @ new Handlebars. Have not found right ones. Good luck

Old 09-12-2012 | 10:36 PM
Bens05FLHPI
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fatboy4447
i just ordered myself some heritage bars for my 09 RoadKing. The stock bars were killing my right elbow. I was leaning so far forward that my elbow was locked out the entire time i was riding. It sucks. My father has a 98 Heritage that I have road many time and i like the fit so I think I will be happy with the set up. Just gotta wait for them to come in.
I think my RK came with heritage bars. They look identical to my dads 12 and 08 heritage bars. I like them but wanna go higher

Old 09-13-2012 | 12:18 AM
mac0478
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
I love the wrist angle of the new 56902-08 bars on mine.
I have the Road King Fat bars (which are the 20087 CVO Road King Bars) on my 2011 FLHR. I think they look great. I just wish there was a little more rise and pull back on them. You are right though, the wrist angle is great.

Last edited by mac0478; 09-13-2012 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Illiterate Australian
Old 09-13-2012 | 12:49 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The wrist angle does take some getting used to. I try to keep my wrists straight when riding. It forces me to relax my grip as well. They are far better for my back and shoulders than the stock bars. If it didn't cost so damn much, I'd probably have a set of regular Heritage bars put on. As it is, I can live with what I now have. Here are some pics. For reference, I'm 5'11", with a 32" inseam. Note back and shoulder position.

Stock bars..

Heritage style bars..

Old 09-13-2012 | 11:56 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the Heritage Style bars on my RK. The wrist angle is turned out a slight bit too much for me; however, I am thinking of getting something a little higher and with some additional pullback. Hence, some 14" apes may be my next set of bars. I hate to spend the money twice on bars, but comfort is key. I had a Fatboy with 16s and that was a tad bit too tall for me. I am the same size as Danny7Z1. I like the LA Choppers Prime Apes, but I don't think they have enough pullback. The YouTube they have with the 2006 RKC gives a good perspective on what these bars look like on a King.

Old 09-13-2012 | 12:04 PM
HDRoadking_nc
Tourer

Put a set on mine a couple weeks ago and love them. Much better than the stock bars and the change out was easy.

Old 09-13-2012 | 12:09 PM
pup
Advanced

That's mine with the Heritage Style bars, took a week or so to get used to the wrist angle, but now I like it. I probably have mine pulled back more than most too.

Quick Reply: "Heritage Style" handlebar on RKC - An Oberservation