Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

biketronics 6.5 inch speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:14 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default biketronics 6.5 inch speakers

I did a search and read all I could find. My question is related to to those that have been using them for a while. Now that we are getting some riding time in (for some of us) how are they sounding as far as cruising-better volume-better sound as compared to the stock speakers. Those that are using amps how do they compare to others.
I spent a good 1/2 day researching with the search feature. and another several hours reading all the posts and I did not see much about actual riding with he speakers. This is for the none amp and amp guys.
dd
jim

Old 03-14-2009, 06:55 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Dirt,
I also did search on same and wasnt very impressed on info i found.Maybe to new for opinions.Though i find that HARD to believe on this forum LOL..... Anyway I did read a post where a member said the plastic mounting parts on fairing did NOT hold the weight of 6.5 speakers.Hope we get some impute on this....Good Luck!! R.W.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:22 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the Loudlids "Rockin' Rings" in my UC so I could upgrade the speakers to a pair of Polk MM-651 speakers. These Polks are marine grade 6.5" coaxial speakers with crossovers. Impedance is 2.7Ω, so they're not too far off from the factory 2Ω speakers and safe (but not necessarily best) to run without an amp.

The speakers sound great with the bike off or at idle. Just need to fade a little forward to give 'em more juice. Haven't had 'em road tested just yet as I have my rear wheel and exhaust disassembled. I don't anticipate any problems with the rings not carrying the weight of the speakers. Overall, the pair of speakers with crossovers and rings weigh about a lb more than the stock speakers and rings.

I have plenty of photos on the installation, but I don't think I can post pics with a new account. They're available on another site.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:21 AM
jon1972s
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the double shot set from hawg wired, the speakers are component speakers, they mount the tweeter on a bridge over the woofer, they come with seperate crossovers and is literally plug and play on the speaker, the amp is 150 watts. great sound seems to be a great speaker but even better customer service. it is a family company and you talk to the owners when you place an order. no i dont work for and i paid full price for everything

Old 03-14-2009, 03:36 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by riteway
Dirt,
I also did search on same and wasnt very impressed on info i found.Maybe to new for opinions.Though i find that HARD to believe on this forum LOL..... Anyway I did read a post where a member said the plastic mounting parts on fairing did NOT hold the weight of 6.5 speakers.Hope we get some impute on this....Good Luck!! R.W.
It was the Loudlids "Rockin' Rings not the biketronics as I read. I found 5 threads and 1 had 4 pages. Reason I asked I have the biketronics speaker kit and the speakers are very impressive.

john1972s
I came very close to getting the hog tunes package but the amp only puts out 40 watts rms per speaker or 150 watts ipp total
The biketronics I have heard in person and they do sound good and have 75 watts rms per speaker but not the 6.5 speakers
Like I said it was a very close 2nd who knows I may think later thats what I should have done.
I was really hoping some of the guys that had installed them earlier on would post up and let me hear what they think now
thanks guys
dd
Jim

Old 03-14-2009, 06:18 PM
crfranklin65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden with my Biketronics 6.5 speakers and find them a big improvement over stock. The range of sounds is broader and I don't have to turn it up as loud. Also, the clarity at louder volume is better.

I plan to eventually add an amp but for now, I'm very happy with the upgrade. I bought them for better quality at highway speeds and I am not disappointed.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:12 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by riteway
...I did read a post where a member said the plastic mounting parts on fairing did NOT hold the weight of 6.5 speakers.
I suppose it's possible and we'll know when the miles start to accumulate. The 6.5" Polk speakers that I used are very lightweight (composite carbon basket and neodymium magnets keep the weight down).

I was curious how much weight I was adding to the fairing and compared the weight of the OEM speaker and OEM ring with the weight of the Polk speaker, crossover, wiring and adapter ring, DynXorb square and the new setup added a pound to each side. Now some of that (DynXorb and crossover and wiring) aren't attached to the ring, so any weight stress would be much less. You never know with plastic, though. It isn't the greatest attachment substrate. I guess this is one of those time when we just say "time will tell".