Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Detachable 2 up tour pak wont fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:59 AM
SteveRindge
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear WW1flyingace,
I think I've solved the problem. My local harley dealer told me that the rubber inserts are supposed to be on my bracket but the the parts list for my kit doesn't list them (he said that the parts list for the FLHX does list them). He thinks this is probably an oversight at Harley, and that all of the 2009 kits for the EG Classics are missing these pieces. He's notifying Harley and ordering me a couple of sets.

He also clarified that the outer rubber-coated docking point in the front of the base is for mounting things like sissy bars....so my instructions were right (they just failed to include the rubber inserts).

Old 03-18-2009, 09:11 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveRindge
Dear WW1flyingace,
One more thing: I assume your REAR tour pack brackets don't have the rubber inserts, but that your rear docking pins are the rubber ones, so that you have steel sitting on rubber in the rear. Is this right?
Correct.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:13 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Dear WW1flyingace,
I think I've solved the problem. My local harley dealer told me that the rubber inserts are supposed to be on my bracket but the the parts list for my kit doesn't list them (he said that the parts list for the FLHX does list them). He thinks this is probably an oversight at Harley, and that all of the 2009 kits for the EG Classics are missing these pieces. He's notifying Harley and ordering me a couple of sets.
Interesting. I wonder how many people have had this issue?

He also clarified that the outer rubber-coated docking point in the front of the base is for mounting things like sissy bars....so my instructions were right (they just failed to include the rubber inserts).
Correct. The outer post on the front is where a sissybar/passenger backrest would mount (the rear mounting point) with the front mount point being at the top of the shock absorber mount. (its part of the shock itself)

Old 03-18-2009, 09:16 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RangeRat
WOW! I have an '07 and same type of problem - "brackets too wide at the back, frame mounts too narrow". Sounds like the same engineer designed both.

I'm thinking of adding a washer or two between my rear plastic bushings and the frame to spread my bushings out a little and let the slots line up properly. Would something like that work for y'all?
Just grab the bracket and spread it out or squeeze it in a bit (whichever you need) It WILL bend/spread. Just don't go Gorilla on it.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:23 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
Just grab the bracket and spread it out or squeeze it in a bit (whichever you need) It WILL bend/spread. Just don't go Gorilla on it.
Sounds good as a 1st method to try - easy and a "freebee".

Old 03-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
Steve,

The front slot of the tour pack bracket has rubber/plastic inserts on it, so when mounted it IS rubber on metal. Is your trunk bracket missing the inserts on the front?

Thanks for the pic.
So I had the metal spacer in the right place the first time, I figured the directions where wrong when I tested it and it didn't seem right, haha!

Glad I didn't force it and break anything.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok did anyone figure out exactly where to put the 3M Paint protection stickers?