Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Detachable 2 up tour pak wont fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:35 PM
murf1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, it goes on the solid chrome spacer on the front, not on the mount with the plastic insert.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:28 PM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Broke mine too. I thought I was just to rough. Now after reading everyones had the same problem another pos ACCESSORY! LOL

Old 03-17-2009, 06:17 PM
SteveRindge
Intermediate

Dear WW1flyingace,
I installed the detachable tour pak kit today on my 09 EG Classic. For the front mounting posts, the instructions clearly show the metal spacers going on the inside and the rubber posts going on the outside. So I installed it this way. However, when I noticed that the front bracket rests on the spacers, I assumed that the instructions were wrong, and that they meant to have the metal spacers on the outside.
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the rubber posts on the inside so that the metal brackets rest on rubber?

Old 03-17-2009, 07:44 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveRindge
Dear WW1flyingace,
I installed the detachable tour pak kit today on my 09 EG Classic. For the front mounting posts, the instructions clearly show the metal spacers going on the inside and the rubber posts going on the outside. So I installed it this way. However, when I noticed that the front bracket rests on the spacers, I assumed that the instructions were wrong, and that they meant to have the metal spacers on the outside.
Wouldn't it make more sense to have the rubber posts on the inside so that the metal brackets rest on rubber?
Steve,

The front slot of the tour pack bracket has rubber/plastic inserts on it, so when mounted it IS rubber on metal. Is your trunk bracket missing the inserts on the front?

Old 03-18-2009, 03:53 AM
SteveRindge
Intermediate

Thanks for your reply and the pics--very helpful. Yes, it is missing rubber inserts. Your set up makes sense because you have rubber meeting steel. Yet, why did HD put a rubber coated docking point to the outside of your metal ones? I wonder if the EGC bracket is different than your FLHX bracket, and they were trying to make the docking bracket flexible enough to handle both? I will check with the local HD dealer. If they don't have any answers and can't give me the rubber inserts for my trunk bracket, I will probably just swap the metal and rubber docking points. Wish the instructions were clearer....

Old 03-18-2009, 04:48 AM
SteveRindge
Intermediate

Dear WW1flyingace,
One more thing: I assume your REAR tour pack brackets don't have the rubber inserts, but that your rear docking pins are the rubber ones, so that you have steel sitting on rubber in the rear. Is this right?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:14 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member

WOW! I have an '07 and same type of problem - "brackets too wide at the back, frame mounts too narrow". Sounds like the same engineer designed both.

I'm thinking of adding a washer or two between my rear plastic bushings and the frame to spread my bushings out a little and let the slots line up properly. Would something like that work for y'all?

Old 03-18-2009, 05:56 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RangeRat
WOW! I have an '07 and same type of problem - "brackets too wide at the back, frame mounts too narrow". Sounds like the same engineer designed both.

I'm thinking of adding a washer or two between my rear plastic bushings and the frame to spread my bushings out a little and let the slots line up properly. Would something like that work for y'all?
I thought I had the same problem on my '09. While I was busy adding washers to make the rear bushings wider, I realized I had room up front to center the rack better. Once I did that, the back fit perfectly. ymmv....

Old 03-18-2009, 06:03 AM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member

I'll check that out Twinrider - thanks.

Steve

Old 03-18-2009, 07:53 AM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought the detachable 2 up luggage rack for my 08 RG. It needed a small amount of tweeking to make it slide right on. I think that the people who expect these sort of things to fit within 1 thousanths of an inch right out of the box have never worked in manufacturing. There are variations in most builds and will depend on acceptable tolerances. If you want a bike to have the kind of tolerances that you're talking about you better get ready to pony up even more cash. And by the way, I don't know about all the brackets, or if the one I got was an old one, but the package read made in the USA on it.

Quick Reply: 09 Detachable 2 up tour pak wont fit