Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Detachable 2 up tour pak wont fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

I found with using my fingers that I was unable to "fold" the rear spring-loaded brackets on the mounting rack over the mounting hardware points in the rear on either side. I made sure they were lined up correctly and instead, I gently put downward pressure on the top of the tour box and they snapped in place.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:47 AM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate to say this, but instructions for installing accessories suck.

Ask me how I know.

Accessories are an adventure. If you are concerned go by the dealer when i town next time and they will be happy to look at your installation and help you out for free.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:00 AM
murf1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's not the "side to side" fit thats wrong, if all I had to do was squeeze the bracket to get the correct fit, No Problem, easy enough fix. The Problem is the dimension from the front mount to the rear mount is short by 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch, like I said I have already cracked both plastic bushings, I'm just going to keep cracking them and take them back for warranty until they get sick of me and do something about it.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by murf1
it's not the "side to side" fit thats wrong, if all I had to do was squeeze the bracket to get the correct fit, No Problem, easy enough fix. The Problem is the dimension from the front mount to the rear mount is short by 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch, like I said I have already cracked both plastic bushings, I'm just going to keep cracking them and take them back for warranty until they get sick of me and do something about it.
Thats what I thought too. It was a LENGTH issue. But by spreading the bracket (widthwise) just a hair, (less than 1/16} mine slipped right into place. I know it doesn't sound like it makes sense, but try it before you give up.

BTW, which plastic bushing are you refering to (that you have cracked)?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:39 AM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by ww1flyingace
Thats what I thought too. It was a LENGTH issue. But by spreading the bracket (widthwise) just a hair, (less than 1/16} mine slipped right into place. I know it doesn't sound like it makes sense, but try it before you give up.

BTW, which plastic bushing are you refering to (that you have cracked)?
That's what I was trying to get across. If he bought HD parts, that's all it can be.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:47 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problem, only I cracked both of them--now it fits perfectly---- easy to get on and off
Originally Posted by lp
Same issue with mine. I ended up just forcing it. Cracked a platic isolator too. Still works, just a major pain.

lp

Old 03-15-2009, 11:15 AM
murf1
Cruiser

Its the plastic bushing thats molded onto each of the 4 docking points.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:18 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

License plate. Have you checked it? On my bike I needed to go to a laydown license plate in order for the TP to clear.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:25 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tda69
License plate. Have you checked it? On my bike I needed to go to a laydown license plate in order for the TP to clear.
Not an issue on 09 bikes. (or prev year Street Glides for that matter)

Last edited by flyingace; 03-15-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:29 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by murf1
Its the plastic bushing thats molded onto each of the 4 docking points.
Did you crack the rear one or the front one? Im assuming the rear one? Cause if you cracked the FRONT one, your problem is your trying to force the bracket on the wrong mounting post. The front goes on the plain metal (inner) post.

Not trying to insult your intelligence, its just I've seen that mistake made before on 09 bikes, twice in fact. (still cant figure out how they managed to get it ON the outer front posts)

Last edited by flyingace; 03-15-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 09 Detachable 2 up tour pak wont fit