Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taller Windshield For My SG

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:54 PM
adamzapple
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taller Windshield For My SG

I brought home my SG last weekend and have already done close to 500 miles on trips up to Ojai, Ventura, Malibu canyons, etc. (I'm in LA if you hadn't guessed). While the 4" deflector is fine for short trips I know I'm going to need something that reduces wind buffeting for longer trips. I've heard about Fastaire and Cee Bailey. The MoCo doesn't seem to offer much in the way of after market windshields for the SG. I want to keep the original look of the bike as much as possible but get more protection at freeway speeds. Any suggestions?

Adam

Old 04-26-2006, 10:39 PM
103FLHX
Road Master
Default RE: Taller Windshield For My SG

Depends on how much coverage you want.

I have the MoCo's 6.5" smoked shield. Keeps the stock look. Not expensive, relatively. I like the coverage. I am 6'4" & get a bit of wind, buit I like it...comfortable amount. I am used to riding a Wide Glide with 16" apes, so anything is comfortable! Seriously though, I was concerned that it would be too short, but I am very impressed & will be sticking with it.

Anyway, it is probably the closest to stock, while providing a more protection.

Good Luck.

[sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 04-26-2006, 10:41 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the 6" from J&P Cycles in a smoke chrome and love the look and feel of it.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:46 PM
RANDIT
Cruiser

i bought the 8inch dark smoke from sin state cycles and im 6'4' now the wind just buffets the top of my head. the 4 inch was too little shield too much wind on a windy day. i might put it back on when it gets hot out but for right now the 8 inch will stay on

Old 04-26-2006, 10:56 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: 103FLHX

Depends on how much coverage you want.

I have the MoCo's 6.5" smoked shield. Keeps the stock look. Not expensive, relatively. I like the coverage. I am 6'4" & get a bit of wind, buit I like it...comfortable amount. I am used to riding a Wide Glide with 16" apes, so anything is comfortable! Seriously though, I was concerned that it would be too short, but I am very impressed & will be sticking with it.

Anyway, it is probably the closest to stock, while providing a more protection.

Good Luck.

[sm=icon_guiness.gif]

yep...i'm with him....got me a moco 6"....i like it

Old 04-26-2006, 10:56 PM
kdvw47
Novice

Dunno really. I trade between a stock for the winter long rides and a shorty smoke for bar hopping. I live on the front range of the Colorado Rockies and the wind can blow! But, even up too 60 plus gust's, on wind I do fine with a stock shield. And, once you get the hang of it you can change them out in a few minutes. Will say that having a fork mount fairing is way, way diff than a fixed fairing. I really do not think any windshield you pick will make much of a difference.
IMHO.
Kent

Old 04-26-2006, 11:00 PM
coolharley
Cruiser

I also sought a slighly taller shield, but really really wanted to avoid that terrible "big windshield" look, which is just aweful if your trying for a lean bagger look. I started with the HD 4" (i.e. same as Street Glide stock). Rode for one season, and this season I now have the HD smoked 6.5", which made a big difference. I'm about 5-10, and now wind just skims over the head, and the "buffet/pounding" sensation is much better.

I looked real hard at some aftermarkets (hey, I'm all about saving some money and not paying The Man any more money), but I really think HD has the best overall shape/cut to the windshield.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:04 PM
UGGA
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this thread for another possibility.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_286479/tm.htm

Doug

Old 04-26-2006, 11:26 PM
adamzapple
Cruiser

Thanks for the suggestions. The MoCo's 6.5" smoked shield looks the best I've seen as far as retaining the stock look. Same one as on the Screaming Eagle Glides. I'm 5' 10", so that extra 2.5 inches would probably be enough. It's not just about wind buffeting. It's also about being able to hear music while tooling down the freeway.

Adam

Old 04-26-2006, 11:29 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

try this guy,,, he is out of Reno, great customer service and his prices are so good, you can buy a few and try them out with out busting your wallet

http://www.fastaire.com/windshields.html

Quick Reply: Taller Windshield For My SG