Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the owners of a Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:26 PM
jaxbusa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for the owners of a Road Glide

I currently have a Dyna Wide Glide and was entertaining the thought of trading it in for a Road Glide. I like my bike, don't get me wrong, but I live in an area where everywhere you go you need to get on the highway. Needless to say, I feel like a windshield is mandatory. I purchased a HD quick detach windshild for the Dyna and I was not pleased. I am 6'3'' and was getting severe buffeting from 55 mhp up. I am in the process of trying a memphis fats shield to see if that cures the problem, but a shield on my bike does not look good at all. I wanted any imput from Road Glide owners about the bike. Pros/ cons like/ dislikes. I especially wanted to hear from riders my size about buffeting. Thanks.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Bingo
Cruiser

I went from a 99 Low Rider to a 2002 EG Standard for the windshield and bags. After 91K I went to a 2008 RG. I like the looks of the RG, plus it rides and handles better, (perhaps not fair comparing an 02 to an 08). I am 5'11 and I had to put the HD 3" taller windshield on, then I trimmed it until I could just see over it. Took about a 1 1/2" off it and I can see over it and the buffeting is not bad. 3" over stock would probably do you (depending on where your length is).

I find better wind protection with the RG. It keeps my hands warmer than the EGS. It has a better riding position for me, as the seat is a little further back.

Just a better all round fit for me.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:56 PM
16X9 Shooter
Cruiser

'06 RG, taller than extra tall clearview windshield, am 6'2" or so, can still see over windshield. Corbin seat is a little taller than stock though.

Wind hits my helmet at around 85 mph...reminds not to go too much faster.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:22 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Road Glide is a great bike. Some don't like the looks but it stays planted on the road. When I owned a dyna it felt light in the front end and not as sure footed as the touring bikes.

I have an 08 RG and I love it.

UW

Old 03-12-2009, 10:30 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A clearview 1" over works great, lowers made the deal complete on my Road Glide after I put the clearview on. I have a 2" over Clearview with the Vent ( if you look on the Clearview website thats my Glide they show, it's the black cherry one ) in pretty good shape if you decide to go that route, It was perfect riding solo (I'm 6'2") but riding double the shield cut my line of vison

Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 PM
jayman720
Tourer
Default Roadies

The Road Glide is a terrible bike. Plus it's ugly.

(The best ride I've ever had in my life. Solid and stable at just about any speed.)

The shield is an issue (I'm 6'5") but I run with the opaque shorty almost all the time - looks cooler - but the woman hates it.

I still miss my 99 Fat Boy, but at least now I can fill up the bags and play sad songs on the radio. (All while I've got the cruise control on!)

Remember - vivid black is the fastest color!

Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could not be more happier with mine. I too put the tall H-D windshield on mine,I also went with the Heritage style bars. The stock bars had me leaning forward all the time and that put a pain on the right side of my back. Plus I have had 3 low back surgeries where they installed pin,rods,screws,and a small cage. Keep in mind that I did the bars myself and kept all the stock cables.
I too thought this was an "UGLY" bike,till I went to Cali last summer and rode my VTX next to my bother-in-law's 05 black cherry Roadie. The more I looked the more I fell in love with it. I came back home and in 2 months time I was at the Dealer. Found mine BELOW MSRP 4 days before the 09's were unvailed so long story to say....here is mine,go get yours.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:14 PM
sporty06
Road Captain

I'm 5'11'' and went from a 2000 Low Rider to a 2007 RG. The stock windshield was in my line of vision. I went with a Cee Bailey 15'' euro. It is about 2" lower than the stock windshield but it moved the wind buffeting above my head. Looks cooler and I can hear the radio now with the wind protection from the Cee Bailey.

Best decision I made when I went to the RG. Almost went with an Ultra and now I am glad I went with the RG.

sporty06

Old 03-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

Been ridin an RG since Jan. 02 and have enjoyed it enough that it now has 130,000+ and still rides great and if I get the urge to ride something different I ride the wifes Road King Classic but I always come back to the RG. I did go to a Clearview 16" w/recurve to get a better ride.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:31 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,087 Likes on 11,627 Posts

I wasn't long replacing the stock shield with an aftermarket one.....
just couldn't get comfortable with the stocker.
I bought 2 different sized ones off e-bay......a slammed down
6" black and a 10" smoked.......

The previous 9 years I rode a Valkyrie with a chopped shield,
so wind blowing around my head and face doesn't bother me,
as I am / was used to it.
We can still hear the music just fine and even talk back and forth
without hollering.

I'm 6'3".....still in the process of ajusting seat / hiway pegs / backrest / and
bars for the total comfort.......I'm almost there !!!

Quick Reply: Question for the owners of a Road Glide