Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear paint protector for bags

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Clear paint protector for bags

I frequently take my son out for rides, and the other day, he managed to put a light scratch on on of my bag lids (not terrible, and not really visible, but I know it's there )....So I was searching the net, and came across this: http://www.xpel.com/ and similar. Has anyone tried this? Has anyone have another solution (other than those bra type covers...not my thing)
Thanks in advance for opinions/suggestions!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:14 PM
willie37
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Yes i have used it for 25 years or more. Paint guard by 3M company has been around as long as i can remember and it works great but it will take off the paint when removed. Not always but most of the time. Also it will scratch and you can always see the cut line. I had it along the side of our Motor home and never had any problems with paint chips from rocks. I think for the bags i would go with the slip on leather or vinyl.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:28 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

xpel is some top shelf stuff!

Old 03-12-2009, 06:51 PM
meveratt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the 3M film put on the tops of the bags when I bought it. The wife drags her feet across the bags regularly,so I'm glad I did.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Thor
Road Master

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
xpel is some top shelf stuff!
Yea, but it would be cheaper than a paintjob.
If you go to the bulk section (https://www.xpel.com/products/bulk.asp) the prices aren't too bad...at 6" (just the top of lid) 4 feet would be 12 bucks...at 12" (top and "rim" of lid) it would be 27....still not bad.
My big concern is the damage to the paint like Willie experienced with the 3M brand.
Chrome rails don't really fit my "theme"...nor does the leather bras...and I've had my eye on the chrome trim piece 53878-03 (link below), which isn't compatible with either of them either (could put the film on around it).
For the price, I'm thinkin I'll get an extra foot, stick it on the inner part of the bags exterior (facing the shock), and leave it on a bit to see if it would affect the paint...then go from there

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...03_L_1bd4e.jpg

Old 03-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Thor
Road Master

Originally Posted by meveratt
I had the 3M film put on the tops of the bags when I bought it. The wife drags her feet across the bags regularly,so I'm glad I did.
I was typin last post as you were replying...
How long have you had it on? How is it holding up? Does it have the same shine the "naked" surfaces have?
(last question) you have any pics handy?

Old 03-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Hilly
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried this:

http://www.invisiblefilm.co.uk/acata..._davidson.html

It's about 120 $

Old 03-12-2009, 07:27 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some stuff called body guard. I bought it at Pep Boys (5 1/2"x 12' roll) for 19.95. I put on the top of my side covers to keep the Sundowner seat from rubbing the paint. Not really noticable where it is. Time will tell how it works. I also put some on my WHITE Honda Foreman to keep my knees from rubbing the plastic. Again time will tell.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Thor
Road Master

Originally Posted by SG 1
I have some stuff called body guard. I bought it at Pep Boys (5 1/2"x 12' roll) for 19.95. I put on the top of my side covers to keep the Sundowner seat from rubbing the paint. Not really noticable where it is. Time will tell how it works. I also put some on my WHITE Honda Foreman to keep my knees from rubbing the plastic. Again time will tell.
How long has it been on? I gotta come up with something soon...I know it's only a bike, but worrying about the youngin puttin a gouge on the lid is gonna drive me bat****.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't sweet it, enjoy the riding.
New lids are about $60 in black, might be a little more for colors. That's from Chicago HD or one of the other discounters. Maybe look into the covers from HD and just put them on when you take your boy. I think they go on with velcro.

Last edited by Akitakoi; 03-12-2009 at 08:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Clear paint protector for bags