Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Noise emmission Laws

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This all reminds me of something.

Have you ever noticed when your walking through a parking lot up to a store the guy that does not stop for you is the same guy that gives you "you better f*cking stop" look?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:11 AM
slime_dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcrider1
So, my sister's property adjoins the Parkway between Linville and Grandfather Mtn. You can't hear yourself think on her deck on a nice Saturday or Sunday afternoon because of the bike noise. Isn't that harassing her? That's the problem with guys like you, it's harassment if it's happening to you but it's freedom of choice if you are the one making all the noise.
No, what you propose is harassment. A purposeful, vengeful act is harassment. Someone being annoying is someone being annoying - that is all.

Enacting targeted "laws" at annoying people is discrimination. For example, I find squealing kids in public places very annoying. A law requiring a muzzle that restricts the squeal to a certain level would be discriminatory if it were not applied to ALL people in public places.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:15 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a non US based follower of this forum I am always mildly amused by how quickly these posts degenerate in to a "Liberal" vs "conservative" debate. I have spent a lot of time in the States and have a half reasonable understanding of the political climate. Are these issues actually on the local party tickets??

personally, as a machine designer who is used to working within factory constraints of 80dB being noisy, 106 sounds really excessive. What is the difference between being excessively noisy in public or blowing smoke in someones face. 106dB will damage hearing

Old 03-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by slime_dog
No, what you propose is harassment. A purposeful, vengeful act is harassment. Someone being annoying is someone being annoying - that is all.

Enacting targeted "laws" at annoying people is discrimination. For example, I find squealing kids in public places very annoying. A law requiring a muzzle that restricts the squeal to a certain level would be discriminatory if it were not applied to ALL people in public places.
That's a good analogy. Now imagine if the law allowed kids to squeal at 106db. You'd be pissed off, wouldn't you?

Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 AM
slime_dog
Tourer

Originally Posted by Twinrider
That's a good analogy. Now imagine if the law allowed kids to squeal at 106db. You'd be pissed off, wouldn't you?

It doesn't take 106db to **** me off... I start around 25-30db.

My point is that everybody has an annoyance threshold. Some are just more obnoxious about their displeasure than others.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:42 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sgdiesel
As a non US based follower of this forum I am always mildly amused by how quickly these posts degenerate in to a "Liberal" vs "conservative" debate. I have spent a lot of time in the States and have a half reasonable understanding of the political climate. Are these issues actually on the local party tickets??

personally, as a machine designer who is used to working within factory constraints of 80dB being noisy, 106 sounds really excessive. What is the difference between being excessively noisy in public or blowing smoke in someones face. 106dB will damage hearing
That's because as soon as they have no argument anymore, they start acting like 5 year olds and call people names. Like they actually know everyone's political views?

Old 03-13-2009, 11:14 AM
roadking 3239
Intermediate

I'm really sorry that I brought this whole subject up!! It was just a simple question.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:39 AM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the screamin eagl mufflers. They sound good and have the epa permit stamped on the bottom for FLT fitment and noise standard.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM
saw*me
Tourer

Originally Posted by RODEO
And there in lies the problem. Differing attitudes right here in this forum thread. Never mind the picnicing sightseers going 10 mph too slow, here we have bikers who cant even agree.
I think that we agree on choices of bikes!! Oh, but mine is black

Please don't hate me

your right it is a give and take. I have friends that ride with drag pipes and they are considerate for the most part. It seems like some places are worse than others. around here there can be 150 bikes roll through town on a saturday. Nobody much complains because most bikers here are local, even the Police Chief rides an Ultra

And he's my neighbor

Let's just ride!!

Tom

Old 03-13-2009, 05:15 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Here's a link about noise laws being proposed all over the country. The only thing I could see about Michigan had to do with a town trying to regulate stereo's in cars.

http://www.noisepollution.org/cgi-bi...?query=stereos

Quick Reply: New Noise emmission Laws