Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deployment Storage for summer months (6 months)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:29 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Deployment Storage for summer months (6 months)

It is quickly nearing time for deployment and I will be storing my 09 SG for 6 motnhs in my garage during the NC summer months. I have done this before with different bikes but wanted to hit up the forum for any ideas/tips.

Concerns of mine...

1) I live in a new neighborhood still under development...so the displaced field mice seem to find my garage a lot....tips for keeping them outta my fairing, pipes, etc.

2) Humidity here can be tremendous...tips for keeping it under control or preventing damage to it.

3) Seen some spay on protection products lately to prevent corrosion during storage...anyone use this or have a specific brand or tips for use?

4) Last time (07 Night Train) I put it up on a motorcycle jack enough for the tires to be off the ground and strapped it down. I'm worried that the weight of a SG would eventually make my puny jack fail. Do you see keeping the tires off the ground as important for 6 mo of storage...or should I not worry about this?

5) I used Stabil fuel treatment last time on a full tank of fuel. Worked Ok and burned that whole tank on the first day back. Any better suggestions for the fuel system?

6) I just did a 5000 mile service and will have about 1000 miles on this oil when I leave. Should I change the oils again before I go? Did not change tranny or primary oils on 5000 mile service. Should I change those before I go?

7) Anything else you can think of?

My grandfather will be living in my house while I'm gone and can check things out and or move the bike around a bit for me...but he is definatley no mechanic and anything out of the ordinary he will not be able to do...

My wife won't be there either as she is also active duty USMC and deploys a week after me...

Last edited by 09StreetGlider; 03-12-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm no expert but you asked so here goes anyway.

1) Mice: Strategically place “Moth *****” will deter them. Put down some traps around the bike too.

2) Humidity: If you can have a fan blowing at the bike it will keep the moisture off of it. It only needs to be run on low. Just keep the air moving.

3) Spray on Protection: Don’t have a clue here, sorry.

4) Tire off the ground: I do like this idea but at least get them off the cement. Cement and rubber contact over a long period isn’t good. An old rug or even cardboard between the two is a good idea. Your jack should have a lock on it to keep the height up in case of a hydraulic pump failure. My cheap Red Sears jack has several locking points to release the pressure on the pump.

5) Fuel: You did right running a tank of stabil through the system, just fill your tank full of fuel with stabil in it too. That will keep moisture out of the tank if it’s full.

6) Oil: The oil should be fine until you return. You might want to change them after you get back. It may have gotten moisture in it sitting around.

7) Anything else: Of course the proper way is never let it go prolonged periods without being run, so I would be willing to store it for you and force myself to ride it at least once a week to keep all the bearing lubed up. It’s the least I can do for you serving our country.

Of course I’m no expert, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:36 AM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could ask your local dealer if they have some storage space and maybe they would start it once in a while to keep everthing good.

Good Luck and God Bless on your deployment, as i have been there done that...

Old 03-12-2009, 11:41 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pay up yer insurance so it will be covered, and bring it over to my house and you can put it in my garage. I can crank it once a week and ride it so the gas don't go stale or jell on you and mess anything up
It will be in perfect order for you to ride it when you come back.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:55 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

You'll probably be okay with the oil for 6 months. But personally, I would change the oil, that's just me. The mothballs and mouse traps that Texas Fat Boy suggested are good ideas. Your grandfather ought to be able to keep up with them. Also, plug it into a battery tender. If you don't have one, get one before you leave. They are relatively cheap. I absolutely would store it on a motorcycle jack. Other than that, sounds like you've already done all that you can. Make sure the tank is full to the top and has stabil in it. My son will be over there in 2 months. Good luck and God Bless.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:03 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I go on deployment (Navy) I really don't do anything special. Make sure the tank is full, you could add stabil or Sea foam (I dont add anything though) moth ***** for the mice, a 60 watt light bulb under the bike will help with condensation. Disconnect the battery or put it on a battery tender. No need to put the bike on a jack or get the wheels off the ground, modern steel belted radial tires don't flatten out like Bias ply tires did. They will be fine, and even if they did get a little flat spot, a mile or 2 down the road and it will be back to normal. Changing the oil inst a bad idea before you go, I dont think I would bother to change it when I got back but thats just me.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Six months of storage is an annual event in Canada. We use a battery tender, fuel stabilizer and change the oil. I prefer Bounce sheets to moth *****, YOU don't want to breath moth *****.
Come back safe.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:33 PM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a service thats available for you. For $100.00 per month I will exercise your bike for you up to 1000 miles per month. And trust me, with the price of gas, I am losing money on this offer.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:38 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 503 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by gary_montague
I have a service thats available for you. For $100.00 per month I will exercise your bike for you up to 1000 miles per month. And trust me, with the price of gas, I am losing money on this offer.
As a special salute to your service, I'll discount Gary's fee, AND store the bike in Raleigh, which is much closer to New Bern.... I might be able to squeeze in a 1000 miles a month for you as well

just trying to be helpful

Old 03-12-2009, 04:13 PM
williamfrog
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 7 Posts

I also seal mufflers . I do this with plastic soda bottles . Mice can do you in by building nest in their .

Quick Reply: Deployment Storage for summer months (6 months)