Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shop painted VS. Factory painted .........

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:32 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Shop painted VS. Factory painted .........

HI Gang,

Looking to add the painted inner fairing to my Ultra. What are the pros & cons regarding using the local paint shop, vs using a factory dealer painted inner ??

If I have the local shop paint it, will I have touble with it fitting back together correctly, ( paint thickness), and should the paint match as good as the factory painted unit.

I do think that it would be an advantage to have the new painted unit on hand , and ready to install as soon as you remove the factory, ( unpainted), one. Especially since I have a short memory !!

Anyone with pros/cons concerning going either way ??

And,....................who is the best dealer , as far as price on a painted inner/ lower console ??

What is a fair price for a local shop to charge for squirting the glacier white pearl, and will they have any trouble with the color match ??

WHEW !! I'm outta breath after all that !!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:37 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

about $100 to paint the inner, quality and match depends on who you use, you can always buy a used one have it painted switch em and sell your ol one

Old 03-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Factory painted = wait time for inner to arrive, higher cost overall but less actual downtime.

Local painter = Pick and choose your painter, less costly and shorter wait time but more down time unless you buy a used inner.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:12 AM
harleybill2008
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through this same thought process and decided to go with a factory painted inner and then when it arrives, I will take the old one off, put the new one on---as you said, memory can be fleeting---I can then send the old one out for paint and either keep it for backup(unlikely) or try and sell it and get some of the money back or just sell it in black and let somebody else have it painted. I think that the painting process from the factory MAY be better or more consistent but it depends on the painter which also determines price and therefore may not cost justify doing it. It's probably half dozen one way or the others.. If you go the painter, you will have to keep this updated with costs and install time. I wish somebody would do a video on changing one out. Would be a lot easier to see it done once before attempting it. At least the pitfalls to look for would be described ahead of time. I have read on the forum that it should only take about 45 minutes for an experiences person to replace one but the local stealer says it is a 3 hour charge. That's a lot of bucks so get your shop/part manuals out and start reading.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:19 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harleybill2008
I have read on the forum that it should only take about 45 minutes for an experiences person to replace one but the local stealer says it is a 3 hour charge. That's a lot of bucks so get your shop/part manuals out and start reading.
I went with the factory color matched inner fairing. Buddy is a HD mechanic, and got the old fairing off in less than 10 minutes. New one took about the same amount of time putting on. Of course, he's done many of these.

From my watching and helping, had I needed to read the service manual and do it myself, I'd say you are looking at 60-90 minutes (you still really need a second set of hands getting it on, since it helps to have somebody do so some wiggling if needed while the other person tries to get the screws in.)

Old 03-12-2009, 08:41 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I took all day removing and replacing mine.. actually about 3 hours to remove it and like 3 to install after i painted but i took my time and i didnt have a second set of hands and didnt need one... I removed everything but the radio and the brackets and popped it off and I installed it the same way.. Plenty of rags around anything that could scratch the new paind and get r done

Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yea, a step by step would be great.
Any one up to it?

I'll be doing one soon, I can take pictures but I have a feeling I might end up taking more apart then I need to.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would opt for a local painter. HD has enough problems applying paint to the production bikes. As others have suggested buy a used inner and have it painted. To paint the inner and lower trim panel would be about $150. Get a service manual and mark every wire you take off from the guages.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Local paint = 1/2 price of HD, and you get to keep leftover paint.

Cannon

Old 03-12-2009, 01:50 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Akitakoi
Yea, a step by step would be great.
Any one up to it?

I'll be doing one soon, I can take pictures but I have a feeling I might end up taking more apart then I need to.
well if you would have asked earlier? .. I guess i could have done it cause the wx sucks and i have no job so i have time ...
I can kinda do one without pics well i guess i did take some pics of mine but i never refered to them

Quick Reply: Shop painted VS. Factory painted .........