Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mushroom head!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:42 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cj5nutz
I bought a full face for the winter months and a half for warmer weather. I bought the carbon kevlar helmets from the Harley shop . They are light weight and I had the misfortune of trying out the full face Feb 6. It handled the asphalt rash very well and I am proud of all that padding. They say I will heal in a few months but can you imagine what my tombstone would have read if I wasn't wearing it or if I had went with a cheap skid lid. Everyone has an opinion. I am proud of my carbon kevlar full face, it is scratched front, back, sides, face shield is scratched pretty bad to. I don't like wearing a helmet but I doubt I would have like facial reconstruction...
To answer the original question after all my babbling ( they gave me good pills)
I really like the half shel I bought , other than looking like a cross between a bobble head and a mushroom. It weighs about 3 lbs and is really comfortable and the carbon kevlar has proved itsself to me.
I have to give cudos to the FXRG suits too. I am broke all to pieces but I didn't get a scratch.
Hope you heal up fast. I didn't get hurt that bad in my little screw up.

Full face is obviously the best protection. But I can't stand to wear one, I've given it a good honest try too. Love my cheap G7 DOT 1/2 helmet, but wear a 3/4 most of the time due to headset. My theory is, if the bike looks good enough, nobody will be looking at my mushroom head anyway

Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 AM
beracing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cj5nutz
I bought a full face for the winter months and a half for warmer weather. I bought the carbon kevlar helmets from the Harley shop . They are light weight and I had the misfortune of trying out the full face Feb 6. It handled the asphalt rash very well and I am proud of all that padding. They say I will heal in a few months but can you imagine what my tombstone would have read if I wasn't wearing it or if I had went with a cheap skid lid. Everyone has an opinion. I am proud of my carbon kevlar full face, it is scratched front, back, sides, face shield is scratched pretty bad to. I don't like wearing a helmet but I doubt I would have like facial reconstruction...
To answer the original question after all my babbling ( they gave me good pills)
I really like the half shel I bought , other than looking like a cross between a bobble head and a mushroom. It weighs about 3 lbs and is really comfortable and the carbon kevlar has proved itsself to me.
I have to give cudos to the FXRG suits too. I am broke all to pieces but I didn't get a scratch.
Dude! Glad you're okay. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Yeah, I've rode with all styles. Laid down a bike with a full face on, but head never hit anything really. Got lucky!! Was able to somehow get the bike onto the grass before it went completely down. Broke a rib or two, sprained a wrist, and general scrapes and scratches.

As everyone has said, it's a matter of choice. I enjoy the air with the half helmet, but the whole mushroom head thing isn't just about looks, but also the bigger on your head, the more wind and buffeting plays a part. I've cut down the buffeting a great deal, but look for the right helmet for me. I also understand for protection, it can be a necessary evil. More foam or padding is going to create a bigger helmet profile.

Many opinions, many preferences, and everyone here is great to share their thoughts.

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited by beracing; 03-14-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:30 AM
wannabe
Cruiser

If you already have an HCI don't bother with the skid lid brand helmet, they claim its the smallest dot helmet but I took measurements of my HCI helmet then went and measured the Skid Lid helmet and it was the same sizes everywhere. I too was looking for a helmet that didn't stick out so far on the sides, which gives you that mushroom head look. still haven't found the perfect helmet, so sticking with the one I have.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:45 PM
m3breecer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a sweet looking helmet im gona check on those...Thanks

Old 03-14-2009, 01:20 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing like a helmet thread to stir things up!

I have an admittedly warped perspective on this. I ride with a novelty helmet because I don't WANT to survive a crash if I have one, but I have to have a lid on to keep 5-0 happy. The last thing I want or can afford is to be in a hospital bed for weeks, then rehab -- I can't afford that. But I do have great life insurance. My wife understands that I love to ride and she'd financially protected. After 20+ years with me, it probably enough already anyhow.

I think anyone who expects to survive a crash ought to wear a 3/4 or FF at a minimum. Half helmets look cool, but even when DOT certified won't do much for you when your face is sliding across the asphalt or piercing some cager's windshield. If you look at the impact statistics, a half-helmet would only protect 40% of the areas normally impacted in a MC crash (assuming it stays on).

Old 03-14-2009, 05:28 PM
gdaf72
Intermediate

I got a Daytona Helmet and look like a mushroom...Can't get rid of it cuz of all the cool stickers though

Old 03-14-2009, 05:35 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by JonnyD
WOW!!!Didnt know Jax was a member!!!...:>)

Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Terryjft
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a lot of research when looking for a half helmet for my lady. She has arthritis in her neck and wanted the lightest DOT I could find. Everyone was pointing to carbon fiber. After doing more research, especially looking at the actual DOT test results (which give independant weights by-the-way..since five different manufacturer's CAN'T all have THE LIGHTEST!)...I got her a Daytona (not carbon fiber). We have been more than happy with this lid.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:11 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by riteway
Just to add my .02 cents....I use HCI Half Helmets.....Ive always worn helmets and here in Illinois its Rider Choice (THANK GOD!!!!!).
You haven't been keeping up on the state Senate...

SB 1351 if I recall. It's already past committee. If it goes along party lines, we'll be forced to lid-up before summer.

Won't affect me much as I tend to wear a helmet - I'm sorry - I choose to wear a helmet most of the time. But I'm not going to like being forced into wearing one...

(EDIT) Yep - SB1351: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/bill...3&SessionID=76

Last edited by JohnScrip; 03-15-2009 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:25 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KopperTop
Nothing like a helmet thread to stir things up!

I have an admittedly warped perspective on this. I ride with a novelty helmet because I don't WANT to survive a crash if I have one, but I have to have a lid on to keep 5-0 happy. The last thing I want or can afford is to be in a hospital bed for weeks, then rehab -- I can't afford that. But I do have great life insurance. My wife understands that I love to ride and she'd financially protected. After 20+ years with me, it probably enough already anyhow.

I think anyone who expects to survive a crash ought to wear a 3/4 or FF at a minimum. Half helmets look cool, but even when DOT certified won't do much for you when your face is sliding across the asphalt or piercing some cager's windshield. If you look at the impact statistics, a half-helmet would only protect 40% of the areas normally impacted in a MC crash (assuming it stays on).

I respect your opinion, but I can remember at least two accidents right off the top of my head, that I investigated, where the rider, not wearing a helmet, died from a blow to the back of the head as the only major injury. (Just threw that out there as food for thought.)

Quick Reply: Mushroom head!