Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mushroom head!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:27 AM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Super Seer, I have 2 half and one 3/4. Fit and feel great.
http://www.superseer.com/

Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Alabamaslammer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

+2 on the Head Trip (ACC) half helmets. Me and my wife both wear them and love them.(DOT and Novelty)Very well made, super light, top quality

Old 03-12-2009, 07:56 PM
BigNick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also am in the market for a new helmet and am considering the Headtrip models (DOT). Part of what I love about riding is a warm summer's day wind in your face and all the smells (well not ALWAYS the smells!) that you get with a half-helmet. But after a fellow local rider was hurt badly in a wreck with a half-helmet, I find myself considering a full-face. Anybody have an opinion or any info on the difference in protection? I'm wondering how many accidents result in facial/jaw injuries vs. the full-face... just worried that wearing a full-face will be like riding in a car.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:18 PM
buzzy62
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have daytona carbon fiber 1/2 nice and comfy.www.daytonahelmets.com

Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by BigNick
Anybody have an opinion or any info on the difference in protection? I'm wondering how many accidents result in facial/jaw injuries vs. the full-face... just worried that wearing a full-face will be like riding in a car.
I have a buddy who is a Fireman. He says in general with the motorcycle accidents he's attended, if the rider doesn't wear a helmet, they are likely dead. If they wear a helmet but not a full face, they are likely alive but with bad face injuries.

I went to a rider safety course last summer given by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol. They recently switch from half shell to 3/4 shell or full face helmets because studies that show half helmets came off in accidents the rider was going faster than 50mph.

I know of one person who had an accident with a flip up helmet (the full face that flips up) and she had some injuries to her face because the flip up part broke off on impact.

I live near Highway 66 and pass hundreds of bikers. I have found that about half the Harley riders I pass don't wave when I wear my full face helmet but most all other bikers do. My buddy who rides a Yamaha Warrior says Harley riders generally always wave at him when he doesn't wear his helmet.

Beary

Old 03-12-2009, 09:44 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BigNick
I also am in the market for a new helmet and am considering the Headtrip models (DOT). Part of what I love about riding is a warm summer's day wind in your face and all the smells (well not ALWAYS the smells!) that you get with a half-helmet. But after a fellow local rider was hurt badly in a wreck with a half-helmet, I find myself considering a full-face. Anybody have an opinion or any info on the difference in protection? I'm wondering how many accidents result in facial/jaw injuries vs. the full-face... just worried that wearing a full-face will be like riding in a car.
I've worn only a full face since 1978. Their is no comparison between a full and half when it comes to protecting your head, the full face wins hands down. There also isn't much or any difference in the level of protection provided by any full face as long as they are DOT and Snell approved. The difference in price comes along with weight, comfort, fit & finish, and ventilation capabilities. My two preferences are Arai Quantum 2 and Shoei RF1000. Your going to spend $400 or more on either one of these but, if you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:03 PM
wbeem
Tourer

Worrying about a mushroom look is a clear sign that you don't really need a helmet. It's a piece of safety gear, not a fashion accessory. If you don't care about the safety features and are more worried about how you look, then don't wear one at all. You'll have a better poser look that way.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 PM
beracing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wbeem
Worrying about a mushroom look is a clear sign that you don't really need a helmet. It's a piece of safety gear, not a fashion accessory. If you don't care about the safety features and are more worried about how you look, then don't wear one at all. You'll have a better poser look that way.
Apparently you didn't read my entire post. Safety is important, but I do prefer a half helmet. I've riden bikes for years, and wore all types of helmets, but until I got my new ride, I had not tried half helmets.

No poser here bud! I really don't care what you or any other person thinks, as long as I'm comfortable with myself, and I like what I like. The post was about choices and what other riders like, prefer, and their opinions on them. Thank you for yours too!

PS>>> Here in NC, you have to have a helmet! Oh well..... there went that idea...

Old 03-13-2009, 07:29 AM
StreetKing
Tourer

I was surprised at the fit of a Vega helmet.I got a plain flat black half for around $45. Dot approved.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Helmets are ugly, period. I have an issue with the mushroom head look (large head, long neck), but just had to get over it.

Quick Reply: Mushroom head!