Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Tour Pak goodies installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jberg
If the rack is mounted first you won't feel bad about placing the lid on a bench to drill it. (Put a towel down first.)
I drilled mine out on the carpet in the living room while the wife was out! She never knew. But yes, when you flip it over to drill, the rack makes it much easier, otherwise you may scratch the top of the tour pak.

Oh those #$%&^ rivets behind the weatherstripping seals. I couldn't get the drill straight with a screwdriver/putty knife holding the seal down, but with patiance it finaly did pop the heads off with no seal damage.

How dumb was the old design? You can lock the tour pak, but with a couple torques screwdrivers, take the hinge pins out anyway.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:52 AM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Premium Hinges and Contoured Luggage Rack. Got all the drilling out of the way at once. Had a little flub-up when drilling the rivets for the old hinges. Luckily it is covered and never to be seen again.

are you running any sort of antenna?

Old 03-12-2009, 12:02 PM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Monstermile
Premium Hinges and Contoured Luggage Rack. Got all the drilling out of the way at once. Had a little flub-up when drilling the rivets for the old hinges. Luckily it is covered and never to be seen again.

but everyone on this forum knows about now

Old 03-12-2009, 12:17 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Would you happen to have the template for drilling the contoured rack. I've got the new rack sitting in the garage, but no template. I'd appreciate getting a copy of it. You can PM me if more convenient. Thanks

Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The template really makes it harder. It's easier to center the rack on some blue painters tape than it is to center the template.
The template really shows the front to rear positioning of the rack so as to allow for future installation of the spoiler. It's not so easy to allign the template. The rack is as good as any template for locating drill points. Just leave room for your finger to barely fit between the front of the rack and the passenger backrest.
After circling the mounting feet measure distances to the edges of the tour pak to be certain you're centered and drill away. Believe me, you don't need the template and you're better off not using it.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:38 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good, I put the hinges on about 2 weeks ago and they look sharp.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

thehueg: The flub was operator error. Nothing to worry about. Thought I had a a good bite on one of the rivets on the lid. Didn't obviously.

jeffbarb: Do you use that bag on the Contoured rack???

jberg: Yeah the garage is a fuggin mess. Been since I had it built. Keeps getting put on the back burner. And I actually took my lid off and took it inside and drilled it on the dining room table. With a towel on the table of course.

jerseyjeff: You may know about it. But if you can't see it, did it really happen???

hebe: Yes the stock antenna. Just don't use the mast. Picks up what stations I need on the rare ocassion I listen to actual radio.

bigsky:
I did not use the template. This is the second time I have installed this rack. Also had it on the tour pak of my 08 Street Glide. It is easy to just lay down painters tape then line it up and measure a few dozen times. I measured up 3/4" from the decal. That line is where the bottom edge of the two lower feet went. Then I did a whole bunch of measuring to get it centered. Traced the two lower feet. Did a center line and drilled starting with a small bit and working my way up. After the bottom two feet were done I put the bolts in and hand tightened. Then I did the two upper feet. Much easier to get the two bottom ones where you want them and then do the uppers with the rack attached. If you still really want the template you are more than welcome to it. But I honestly think you will find it is easier without.