Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Cylinder Shut Down on 09's

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:47 PM
clarkchriston
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok here is a question. I have an 08 RKC and from what I can remember reading in my manual (I will need to re-check) on page 145 it states something to the effect that some 08 models have a deler insatlled EITMS. How can you check if you have the feature. I have performed the above procedure Neutral, stopped roll throttle forward and cruise light flashes green. wait a few seconds and repeat then cruise flashes red. I have not been in a circumstance yet where the bike has gotten hot enough to check. Any way to tell if it's installed.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:07 PM
103Eagle
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
What he said plus a little more info........when it is activated and shuts down that rear cylinder you will smell fuel and the rpm's will drop to 950 from the normal idle of 1050. The cylinder will kick back in at 1200 rpm's, clutch in or not....so don't blip that throttle. I also would not recommend using it at any time other than heavy traffic because if it is activated and it shuts that rear cylinder down while at a stop, if someone rolls up on you too fast the bike will sputter when trying to get away. Don't ask how I know this.

I may have misunderstood but I disagree about the don't blip the throttle. If you are in heat management mode and then try to take off by letting out the clutch and rolling on the throttle, you could stall as the bike stumbles as the rear cylinder becomes active again. I prefer to blip the throttle to start the rear cylinder before I start to let out the clutch and add throttle. You even mention the sputter when trying to get away. If you blip the throtttle first it starts the rear cylinder, then do a normal start, no sputter! It will only sputter when ya blip the throttle the first time! Just sayin, not starting an argument.

Secondly, when stock my 09 went into this mode almost all the time on a warm day while at lights. With hi flow, slip-ons and dyno tune with SEST, has not done it yet and its been lots warmer outside than prior to those mods. Tune has helped!

Old 07-16-2009, 12:42 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FunkyNova66
So....let me makes sure I understand this correctly for the 2009 touring bike.....

You roll the throttle forward until the cruise control light blinks green then the EITMS is enabled.

You roll the throttle forward again until the cruise control light blinks amber then you have disabled the EITMS.

Your rear cylinders will not shut off until the engine temp has reached a certain level (which is believed to be 279 deg F by most in this thread)

You can not manually turn your rear cyclinders on and off unless the temperature threshold has been met and once the temperature has been met, the bike will shut the cylinder down automatically during idle and not during cruiise speeds.

Is this correct?
That is correct.

My RK's EITMS used to activate frequently in stop and go traffic but since I installed a PCV, Stage 1 A/C and Fuel Moto's map, it hasn't activated at all.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:02 AM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also installed a PCV and an air cleaner package. It hasn't activated at all. Never really ran the bike in hot weather before the PCV. I did notice that the oil temperature dropped at least 20 degrees after the installation of the PCV. Don't set in traffic much. Hottest oil temperature I have noticed since the PCV was 260 degrees, and that was after a blast down the expressway at 80 mph plus in 100 degree heat.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:07 AM
heywood727
Road Master

Originally Posted by clarkchriston
Ok here is a question. I have an 08 RKC and from what I can remember reading in my manual (I will need to re-check) on page 145 it states something to the effect that some 08 models have a deler insatlled EITMS. How can you check if you have the feature. I have performed the above procedure Neutral, stopped roll throttle forward and cruise light flashes green. wait a few seconds and repeat then cruise flashes red. I have not been in a circumstance yet where the bike has gotten hot enough to check. Any way to tell if it's installed.
If it's flashing, then yes it should be active. If your bike was built December 07 or later, you can turn it off and on as you like before you start the bike. Unlike the 09's this is when you do it. The 09's can do it at every light. If your bike was built before Dec. 07, the EITMS can be activated for free at the dealer once only. If you want it put back after that, they may charge you for it.

Page 140 in the 08 touring manual. Turn the ignition on, DO NOT start the bike, and then twist the throttle back (opposite of giving it gas), and hold for 3 seconds. Green active, Red deactivated.

Mine kicks on if i leave the bike at idle in about 15 to 20 mins. at 75 ambient.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Lures
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thread, it answered most of my questions. I've got one more though, Does this system shut down the rear cylinder by cutting off the ignition or fuel or both? My guess is it shuts off ignition based on others saying that they smell gas when the eitms is activated. But that is only a guess.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 AM
newdep332
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW....I had the Lap Top hooked up tp the PCV today loading a new map from Jamie when I decided to see if and when the heat management would kick in. According to the temp on the PCV screen it was @ exactly 289 degrees. Not sure it matters to anyone just thought I would throw it out there.

Last edited by newdep332; 08-12-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:43 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

From the Manual "Touring Models 2009 Harley-Davidson Owners Manual"

Page 144.

"Engine Idle Temperature Management System"

"For those riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions or traffic congestion, the motorcycle is equipped with an Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) to provide limited cooling of the rear cyclinder."

"When the engine is in EITMS operation, you may notice a difference in idle cadence. Additionally, there may be a unique exhaust odor. These are both considered to be normal conditions."

"Vehicles are delivered from the factory with EITMS disabled. EITMS can be enabled or disabled by the rider using the following procedure."

"1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and push theengine OFF/RUN switch on the right handlebar to the RUN position (do no start the motorcycle)."

"2. Push the throttle to roll-off positionand hold."

"3. See Figure 7. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or red (EITMS disabled).

"4. Repeat the procedure as needed to enable or disable EITMS"

Old 08-07-2009, 02:48 AM
performanceisthekey
Road Captain

Wow like a hybrid. Shuts off the motor then restarts it. I didn't know the MoCo was so green.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:36 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i wouldn't even know mine is there. it's never kicked on, and i've got an 08 sg. but then again, when it's running, i'm riding.

Quick Reply: Rear Cylinder Shut Down on 09's