Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Cylinder Shut Down on 09's

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:55 PM
cujo101
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only activated mine once, but worked as advertized. (sounds like a sick lawnmower running on one cylinder.)

Old 05-23-2009, 10:10 PM
odie-in-az
Tourer

Living in the AZ I just returned from a 700 round trip in triple digit temps and as soon as I come to a stop my rear shuts off right away. The techs at HD told me today that the shut off is at 279*. It works, I can tell you that.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:54 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
+1 If the rear cylinder is shut down on mine and I give it gas at a light...same as usual...it will sputter. But if I give it a quick blip the rear cylinder will come alive and I can take off as normal. Some getting used to it, but once you adjust for it I don't see it as a problem.
I always(habit) blip the throttle before I take off, it helps me find the clutch engagement and now, sets both cylinders to firing. I like the idea of the feature, but using it can be a little embarrassing. It sounds more like a futt futt futt instead of a putt putt putt

Old 07-15-2009, 03:16 PM
FunkyNova66
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Twinrider
Not exactly how it works. What you've been doing is simply enabling EITMS (cruise light blinks green) and disabling it (cruise light turns orange). When EITMS is enabled, the rear cylinder will automatically shut down once the engine temp has reached a certain level while the bike is idling.

So....let me makes sure I understand this correctly for the 2009 touring bike.....

You roll the throttle forward until the cruise control light blinks green then the EITMS is enabled.

You roll the throttle forward again until the cruise control light blinks amber then you have disabled the EITMS.

Your rear cylinders will not shut off until the engine temp has reached a certain level (which is believed to be 279 deg F by most in this thread)

You can not manually turn your rear cyclinders on and off unless the temperature threshold has been met and once the temperature has been met, the bike will shut the cylinder down automatically during idle and not during cruiise speeds.

Is this correct?

Old 07-15-2009, 03:40 PM
VARDR
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FunkyNova66
So....let me makes sure I understand this correctly for the 2009 touring bike.....

You roll the throttle forward until the cruise control light blinks green then the EITMS is enabled.

You roll the throttle forward again until the cruise control light blinks amber then you have disabled the EITMS.

Your rear cylinders will not shut off until the engine temp has reached a certain level (which is believed to be 279 deg F by most in this thread)

You can not manually turn your rear cyclinders on and off unless the temperature threshold has been met and once the temperature has been met, the bike will shut the cylinder down automatically during idle and not during cruiise speeds.

Is this correct?
YES, that is correct. Mine shuts off the cylindar each time I am at a stop light if it is over 85 degrees outside. With the PCV I have found it to be a little more sensative (stalling out easier) than stock. No issues, I just have to give it a little blip and the cylindar kicks in...bone stock I didn't have to do that.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:48 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I believe it is at zero speed, not just non cruising speeds.

Beary

Old 07-15-2009, 04:18 PM
28gauge
Cruiser
Default Idle Heat Management

I live in Tucson so it's hot now to say the least. When the heat management system is activated to on, through the throttle, the rear cyclinder cuts out at idle all the time once the bike is fully warmed, say after 3 or 4 miles of riding. My bike is new, so I don't have experience with cooler temperatures but it's my guess that even with cooler temps, that rear cylinder will be cutting out all the time. It's based on head temperature and if 280 or close to it is the activation temperature, these 96 c.i. engines get there all the time - even in cooler temps. I think it will be in use when these bikes are at there new "normal" operating temperatures which means they're almost always running too hot. I'm not sure how I feel about the approach. It's a band aid that will probably just be a transition to liquid cooling.

Old 07-15-2009, 04:29 PM
tmcgeesr
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have to turn it back on every time you switch the bike off? I live in Mobile, so its hot. I turned it on when the bike was new and it has never killed the rear cylinder yet. Of course I haven't checked it since I set it, just thought the cylinder wasn't hot enough. Also, I understand it is only activated when the bike is at idle. Is that right?

Old 07-15-2009, 05:10 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcgeesr
Do you have to turn it back on every time you switch the bike off? I live in Mobile, so its hot. I turned it on when the bike was new and it has never killed the rear cylinder yet. Of course I haven't checked it since I set it, just thought the cylinder wasn't hot enough. Also, I understand it is only activated when the bike is at idle. Is that right?
No, it stays in EITMS mode even after turning the engine off. EITMS mode will stay on, until you turn it off.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:14 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

On the '09s, once you enable EITMS (roll the throttle forward till the cruise light turns green), it will remain enabled till you disable it. Sounds like your bike is running cool enough that it simply hasn't activated yet.

Quick Reply: Rear Cylinder Shut Down on 09's