Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Cylinder Shut Down on 09's

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 05:56 AM
keltonkrew
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newdep332
I have a 09 Heritage and an 09 EGS if either bike is in heat management while sitting still both bikes will immediately engage rear cylinder when you give throttle. No spitting or sputtering instant power!
ditto. barely touch the throttle and rear engages quick and no puttering.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:24 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Originally Posted by keltonkrew
ditto. barely touch the throttle and rear engages quick and no puttering.
+1 If the rear cylinder is shut down on mine and I give it gas at a light...same as usual...it will sputter. But if I give it a quick blip the rear cylinder will come alive and I can take off as normal. Some getting used to it, but once you adjust for it I don't see it as a problem.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:30 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't believe any just any bull the dealer geek tells you. it's your bike so break out the owner's manual and read about it. On the 09s, it can be enabled or disabled by the rider.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:47 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by RODEO
Don't believe any just any bull the dealer geek tells you. it's your bike so break out the owner's manual and read about it. On the 09s, it can be enabled or disabled by the rider.

'08's also.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:04 AM
newdep332
Tourer

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
Then you are rare. Six people in my ride group have it and all have the issue. You may have it engaged but I seriously doubt it is active, it takes alot really for it to activate and shut that cylinder down. Check the rpm's next time, if not 950 you're still running with both.
It's running, the RPM's drop and the bike will sound a little off, then when I take off all is well. If I am rare I hope it stays that way.

Last edited by newdep332; 03-13-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Jmag7714
Stage I

I sure wish someone has the answer, as I was just out cruisin on my 09 flhtc and it seemed to cut out to one cylinder and even stalled out on me once! Ambient temps was around mid 60's, so I can't imagine why this would even happen at these temps anyway. Anyone know for sure???

Old 05-23-2009, 07:49 PM
d2jlking
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jmag7714
I sure wish someone has the answer, as I was just out cruisin on my 09 flhtc and it seemed to cut out to one cylinder and even stalled out on me once! Ambient temps was around mid 60's, so I can't imagine why this would even happen at these temps anyway. Anyone know for sure???

That doesn't sound like the same thing to me. I have not heard anyone say that their bike has stalled due to this feature. Also, have not heard mention that the bike cuts to one cylinder during normal operating temps. Only excessive engine heat, when the feature is enabled, and the clutch in condition is met.

S

Old 05-23-2009, 08:18 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
Then you are rare. Six people in my ride group have it and all have the issue. You may have it engaged but I seriously doubt it is active, it takes alot really for it to activate and shut that cylinder down. Check the rpm's next time, if not 950 you're still running with both.
The idle RPM's for the '09 Touring Bikes is 1000 +/- 50....This is listed in the service manual...

Old 05-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by garys_ultra
My 09 has that feature,, you roll the throttle forward and hold it unitll the cruise light blinks orange and it shuts off the rear cylinder, when you roll it back it kicks back in. havent had a real hot day to try it other than playing with it at the stop lights.
Not exactly how it works. What you've been doing is simply enabling EITMS (cruise light blinks green) and disabling it (cruise light turns orange). When EITMS is enabled, the rear cylinder will automatically shut down once the engine temp has reached a certain level while the bike is idling.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:33 PM
happyfeet
Cruiser

I have stalled mine several times when it came on at a stop. I gave it some gas until both cylinders fire then took off. I was really embarrased stalling in traffic so I turned it off and haven't used it since.

Quick Reply: Rear Cylinder Shut Down on 09's