Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Cylinder Shut Down on 09's

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:57 PM
hover
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FatBAGstr'd
I was told by a tech that the bike also must have cruise control in order for the cylinder shut down to work? He explained that you had to set the cruise, then negative roll the throttle to shut the cylinder down.

More BS? I have an 09, but no cruise. Be nice in the Texas summer heat to be able to use this feature if I can.
Doubt if you need cruise, but the cruise indicator changes color when activated. I'm sure your bike has the indicator? Also check to see if there is a - idle position on your throttle...its all in your manual.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Conehead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have actually turned mine on while setting at a stop light just to see if it is possible and it worked as advertised. I rolled the throttle forward and the cruise light turned green and it was activated.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 PM
garys_ultra
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 09 has that feature,, you roll the throttle forward and hold it unitll the cruise light blinks orange and it shuts off the rear cylinder, when you roll it back it kicks back in. havent had a real hot day to try it other than playing with it at the stop lights.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

All 09 touring models have this feature. Roll forward on the throttle and the cruise light will blink after a few seconds. (regardless of if you have cruise control). If it blinks orange, you just turned ETMS off. If it blinks green, you just turned it on.

You have to be at a complete stop with the clutch pulled in to enable/disable ETMS. Or you can do it at idle in neutral while at a complete stop and the clutch does not have to be in. Or you can enable/disable before you start the bike with the ingnition switch to "ignition" and the run/stop switch to "run".

You cannot determine when your engine shuts down the rear cylinder on any model or any year. You can only enable/disable ETMS. The ETMS will shut down the rear cylinder only when certain conditions are met. Engine temp, speed (zero I think), clutch in, throttle at 0%. As soon as you roll back the throttle or let out the clutch in gear the rear cylinder starts again.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 PM
keltonkrew
Road Master

works great on my 09. last October in stop/go traffic sitting forever at red lights it would activate....does sound kinda funny put put put.....

Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

when did they start adding the parade mode on the tourers my buddy has a 05 rg
and he tells me its happened to him i have never had a heat issue since i changed
to synthetic and i ride to vegas almost once a month-ride safe

Old 03-12-2009, 09:15 AM
ranman469
Road Master

I found that when stuck in trafic i rool the throtle foreward to turn off the rear.
and if the traffic it creaping i hold the throtle foreward and just let out the clutch just a bit to move , and the rear cyl stays off.

it works i was stoped in freeway traffic on a 85deg day for 1/2 hour with no problems

Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 09StreetGlider
All 09 touring models have this feature. Roll forward on the throttle and the cruise light will blink after a few seconds. (regardless of if you have cruise control). If it blinks orange, you just turned ETMS off. If it blinks green, you just turned it on.

You have to be at a complete stop with the clutch pulled in to enable/disable ETMS. Or you can do it at idle in neutral while at a complete stop and the clutch does not have to be in. Or you can enable/disable before you start the bike with the ingnition switch to "ignition" and the run/stop switch to "run".

You cannot determine when your engine shuts down the rear cylinder on any model or any year. You can only enable/disable ETMS. The ETMS will shut down the rear cylinder only when certain conditions are met. Engine temp, speed (zero I think), clutch in, throttle at 0%. As soon as you roll back the throttle or let out the clutch in gear the rear cylinder starts again.
What he said plus a little more info........when it is activated and shuts down that rear cylinder you will smell fuel and the rpm's will drop to 950 from the normal idle of 1050. The cylinder will kick back in at 1200 rpm's, clutch in or not....so don't blip that throttle. I also would not recommend using it at any time other than heavy traffic because if it is activated and it shuts that rear cylinder down while at a stop, if someone rolls up on you too fast the bike will sputter when trying to get away. Don't ask how I know this.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 03-13-2009 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:52 AM
newdep332
Tourer

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
What he said plus a little more info........when it is activated and shuts down that rear cylinder you wil smell fuel. The cylinder will kick back in at 1200 rpm's, clutch in or not....so don't blip that throttle. I also would not recommend using it at any time other than heavy traffic because if it is activated and it shuts that rear cylinder down while at a stop, if someone rolls up on you too fast the bike will sputter when trying to get away. Don't ask how I know this.
I have a 09 Heritage and an 09 EGS if either bike is in heat management while sitting still both bikes will immediately engage rear cylinder when you give throttle. No spitting or sputtering instant power!

Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by newdep332
I have a 09 Heritage and an 09 EGS if either bike is in heat management while sitting still both bikes will immediately engage rear cylinder when you give throttle. No spitting or sputtering instant power!

Then you are rare. Six people in my ride group have it and all have the issue. You may have it engaged but I seriously doubt it is active, it takes alot really for it to activate and shut that cylinder down. Check the rpm's next time, if not 950 you're still running with both.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 03-13-2009 at 06:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Rear Cylinder Shut Down on 09's