Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry, another Detachable SG Tour Pak Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sorry, another Detachable SG Tour Pak Question

My plan is to purchase a Tour Pak with detach, and Sundowner Seat for use when The misses and I go for rides longer than and hour or so. Since I'm primarily buying the bike for myself and to and from work I don't need the pak and sundowner on the bike for everyday riding. I purchased the Street Glide because I like the look of the bike as it is without all the extras and big seat. My question is how difficult is it to swap out the seat and tour pak for weekend rides with the wife and then put it back to the way I like it for daily riding back and forth to work. I won't be swapping every weekend but maybe once or twice a month. I know alot of people say that once they put it on they rarely take it off, but I REALLY like the stripped down look, so I know I will.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

5 Minutes tops!
I bet you leave the sundowner on when you go solo! I love mine, hope the 09 version is as nice.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Thumbs up

Bald1,

I like you am MUCH happier without TP,so mine is off most of the time.I also have the detach backrest with luggage rack that i prefer most of the time and the wife enjoys for short local rides. Anyway i find it no problem switching out at any time..5-10 minute job tops....Also have sundowner that had memory foam added for extra comfort.....GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!!!!!Ride Safe and Happy Trails. R.W.

Last edited by riteway; 03-11-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added info!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Open Road
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replace the seat screw with a thumb bolt and the whole process will take you about 3 minutes. It's very simple and no tools required. Your wife could do it for you.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Just like you the wife and i like the stripped down look...we had a Fatboy with all the touring equipment but when we got to a hotel or home, it came off. Now we have an Ultra that was used but had a detachable tour pack.....and it is off all the time...except when we go on long rides. We have learned to pack light, so we have lots of extra room when we put the tour pack on. The other option for you would be the detachable passenger backrest with luggage rack....there is a lot of luggage out there that will give you as much room as a full tour pack....just a thought.......

Old 03-11-2009, 11:48 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Open Road
Replace the seat screw with a thumb bolt and the whole process will take you about 3 minutes. It's very simple and no tools required. Your wife could do it for you.
LOL Yeah I can see me now trying to explain doing this to the wife....

Jeff I plan on doing the detach backrest for the misses for around town, but I think for longer rides she'd be more comfortable with the tour pak and backrest.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM
falbound5
Intermediate

Thats exactly what I have and it only takes a few minutes to do. It actually takes longer bringing the the tourpak out of the house then it does to switch everything. I also have the rear speakers on the tourpak, the wires just clip in and out and when not in use I just roll them up under the seat.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:10 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I have the detachable backrest. I assumed the detachable tourpack would use the same docking hardware, but I after looking at another sg with a detachable tourpack, I don't think my docking hardware is correct.

Does anyone know if I switch to the docking hardware that accepts the tourpack, will it also accept the backrest?

Dennis

Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rochkes
I have the detachable backrest. I assumed the detachable tourpack would use the same docking hardware, but I after looking at another sg with a detachable tourpack, I don't think my docking hardware is correct.

Does anyone know if I switch to the docking hardware that accepts the tourpack, will it also accept the backrest?

Dennis

My 06 takes 2 different docking kits for the back rest and the tour-pak.. I prolly wont use my tour-pak much either but i have boits docking kits on my glide.. The 09's i guess are different .
by the way bald1der i see your location says Afghanistan? My stepdaughter was there in the air force and i have a Kabul H/D t shirt from there.. It was a joke the germans were having fun with and they got some printed up... Sure pissed of a guy at work but he is kinda narrow minded too ...

Old 03-11-2009, 02:25 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Akitakoi
5 Minutes tops!

And that is taking your time. It's a easy swap, that is one thing I really like about my bike. I can go from solo to two up long distance quick.

Quick Reply: Sorry, another Detachable SG Tour Pak Question