Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting more.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009 | 09:26 PM
FatBAGstr'd
|
Advanced
Default Wanting more.......

I've been lurking here for quite some time, with a post or two here and there....

I'd like an opinion from some of you that have been living in bagger nation longer than I have.

As seen in my signature, I have an 09 FLHT with slip-ons, Stage I AC, and HD download. I'm kinda sorta pleased with the performance; but, like the title says - I want a bit more.

To elaborate, here is a little background info and what I'm looking for. I live in Texas. My normal cruise speed is 70-80. I ride both 1 and 2-up. The scoot's performance is fine up to about 85ish. Rolling on the throttle on 5th kicks the speed up, but I'd like to not be out in the oncoming lane so long when passing dualies, cattle trucks, and the snow birds pulling their trailers back home for the summer.

It is not my intention to turn this into another dyno posting thread If it is relevant then sure, post away I'm also not trying to turn my bike into a wheelie machine or burn-out champion.I want the "I have it if I need it" performance.

I'd like you honest opinions and experiences with touring bikes. I was thinking about putting new cams in as a start, but don't know if that will do the trick? I'm on a budget and will have to do it a little at a time. Let me know where you'd start (or have already started) or what you suggest.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-10-2009 | 10:22 PM
Yatez004
Tourer

Ill tell ya, we just did a stage 4 103 to a 09 FLHX with a Bassani Road Rage 2-1....WOOOOOOW. It was $2800 installed, comes with 260 cams, 58mm Throttle body, oversize injectors, heads, high compression pistons, automatic compression releases & harness, and super tuner. Were putting it on the dyno to fine tune it tomorrow.

On the other flip of the coin. We have a customer in the same situaion as yourself. He did a basic 103'' conversion with .255 cams supertuner and some supertrapp slipons. Not outrageous, but there when you need it and when dynod he had 99.68 horse and 126 ft/lbs of tq.

Old 03-10-2009 | 10:32 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

For what you are looking for just get the power package from Fuelmoto.
Includes Power Commander V, Stage 1 aircleaner, and Jackpot Mufflers.

The bike will breath much better and run much cooler (for that Texas sun) and the performance response will give you what you say you are looking for. And they are the cheapest and most respected around. Outstanding support and free maps for life if you decide to do cams later. No need to pay for a dyno.

Old 03-10-2009 | 10:35 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member

Start with a real tuner, check into a Power Commander V from Fuel Moto.
That HD download did'nt do squat. The Power Commander alone will make a noticeable difference.

Edit: X Post with 09streetglider.

Last edited by Akitakoi; 03-10-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2009 | 12:06 AM
FatBAGstr'd
|
Advanced

I appreciate the suggestions. I don't think I want to totally go tearing into the motor yet and doing the 103 or 110 upgrade, so the PCV seems to be a good route to go.

I guess I was just not 100% informed on how tuners can increase performance. One quick question about tuners.

As far as the HD download...what does it do? Just adjust the AFR just enough so the engine doesn't detonate due to the new AC and mufflers?

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2009 | 12:14 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Simply put...the download adjusts the ECM back to stock when you go the the free'er flowing stage 1 A/C. Don't waste your money on this.

Don't bother as the stock EFI runs way too lean. EPA regulations and air cooled motors don't mix too well.

A tuner will richen up the fuel mixture which will give you more power and a cooler running engine. The aircleaner and mufflers will let the bike breathe the way it should, which when combined with a tuner will improve power/torque and let it run cooler as well.

Look into the Power Commander V (PCV) from http://www.fuelmotousa.com/ Call Jamie and talk to him about what you want.

Old 03-11-2009 | 12:24 AM
FatBAGstr'd
|
Advanced

Awesome! I will.

Thanks y'all!

Old 03-11-2009 | 01:04 AM
fairplay
Road Master

Originally Posted by Yatez004
Ill tell ya, we just did a stage 4 103 to a 09 FLHX with a Bassani Road Rage 2-1....WOOOOOOW. It was $2800 installed, comes with 260 cams, 58mm Throttle body, oversize injectors, heads, high compression pistons, automatic compression releases & harness, and super tuner. Were putting it on the dyno to fine tune it tomorrow.

On the other flip of the coin. We have a customer in the same situaion as yourself. He did a basic 103'' conversion with .255 cams supertuner and some supertrapp slipons. Not outrageous, but there when you need it and when dynod he had 99.68 horse and 126 ft/lbs of tq.
cataloge price is $2400 on a stage IV are you sure about the installed price? If so I am on my way to wherever that is!

seriously, if thats the case, i am interested. Price by me installed with dyno and B.S. lookin' at 4500