Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HHI vs. Performance Machine

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Screamin Steve
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HHI vs. Performance Machine

Just wondering if anyone is using either a HHI or PM 6 piston caliper with single rotor. Also is either setup any better then the other and does either setup take more time to install then the other? Am I going to have change the master cylinder? Sorry for all the questions!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:30 PM
HHI Dave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, just poked my head in here cause I thought this thread was about me.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I run PM 6 piston, single.
Stops on a dime.

Hawg Halters, HHI...are just as good.
Installed a HHI on a buddies bike last weekend...really nice brake.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used a vendor who sold both. According to him, the PM was a little more expensive and a little bit better. However he said I wouldn't notice the difference. I went with the HHI because they were both on back order and the HHI came in first and I didn't like the fact that PM has their initials on the caliper.

The bike stops fine and I feel no safety issues with stopping, but the 1 thing I didn't like is there is no play in the front brake lever. I use to pull my brake lever almost to the grip to stop and now I only have to pull the lever 1/8 of an inch.

If it makes sense, pulling the lever close to the grip your hand is similar to a closed fist, pulling the lever 1/8 of an inch your hand position is like a "C" I feel I had more control of the bike when I have to pull the lever farther. To fix this problem you have to change out the MC which I will do later.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Slammed Rod
Cruiser

I'm running a PM single 6 piston on my vrod.I'm waiting for it to come back from PM!!! The bleeder would not stop leaking.Hope it gets here soon!!!!If the 360* brake would have been out I would have gotten it instead!!!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Screamin Steve
Cruiser

Guys,
thanks for all the info.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:16 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Slammed Rod
I'm running a PM single 6 piston on my vrod.I'm waiting for it to come back from PM!!! The bleeder would not stop leaking.Hope it gets here soon!!!!If the 360* brake would have been out I would have gotten it instead!!!
How did you know the bleeder wouldn't stop leaking?
Thanks

Old 04-03-2012, 12:19 AM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will never buy another pm part again. After what I went through with them f***s this winter. Im done. Expensive junk imo. Good luck with whatever you buy.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:10 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Manish_Hawg
I used a vendor who sold both. According to him, the PM was a little more expensive and a little bit better. However he said I wouldn't notice the difference. I went with the HHI because they were both on back order and the HHI came in first and I didn't like the fact that PM has their initials on the caliper.

The bike stops fine and I feel no safety issues with stopping, but the 1 thing I didn't like is there is no play in the front brake lever. I use to pull my brake lever almost to the grip to stop and now I only have to pull the lever 1/8 of an inch.

If it makes sense, pulling the lever close to the grip your hand is similar to a closed fist, pulling the lever 1/8 of an inch your hand position is like a "C" I feel I had more control of the bike when I have to pull the lever farther. To fix this problem you have to change out the MC which I will do later.
I put a Hawg Halter 6-piston single caliper on my 2007 FXSTC, using the stock 9/16" master cylinder.

I have the same complaint, the front brake lever feels excessively stiff, and has a very narrow throw when compared to stock.

I was told that I can either go with a smaller size master cylinder (which I can't seem to find), or go with a HHI or PM 4-piston caliper, as opposed to a 6-piston.

What did you wind up doing?

Thanks

Old 09-16-2014, 04:55 PM
dochawken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin Steve
Just wondering if anyone is using either a HHI or PM 6 piston caliper with single rotor. Also is either setup any better then the other and does either setup take more time to install then the other? Am I going to have change the master cylinder? Sorry for all the questions!
I love the clean look of my HHI...excellent quality...stops like a red mule.

Quick Reply: HHI vs. Performance Machine