Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 03:42 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Just ride it. No need to pour good oil and money down the drain at the same time. 200 mile oil hasn't gone bad just sitting there any more than it would have sitting on a bottle on a shelf.

That whole six month oil change stuff was invented by the oil company to sell more oil. I have several vehicles that I have had for many years that sit for a long time between changes. One of them had 180 miles, 3 years 8 months on the oil before I changed it last. The oil poured out looking like new. I think I drained out good oil even then........Six months regardless of miles? So I have a boat, I change the oil and winterize it in the fall....It sits six months before I use it. Do I need to change it again?..LOL.

Last edited by xxxflhrci; 03-11-2009 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:14 AM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oils do lose some of their additives protection over a long streach of time. IF you had never run the bike I might agree with some of the other guys on this but 200+/- miles are the critical ones. Any blow by that got around the rings, the carbon and ash has entered the oil. That with the sulfur content in the oil can make the oil acidic and that is not good for an engine. It will etch into your bearings. I would change it now as it is cheap insurance.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 AM
roadking1893
Tourer

I would wait until you have more miles on it. Most new engine or trans will produce some metal from machining fitment. You at least want to put some mile on it until you go through that stage.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:22 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Even when I was sea a lot in the Navy and the Merchant Marine over the years never let oil sit over 6 months regardless of Mileage.. My Opinion Only .. but are reasons for this ..
+1 to JayStronghawk. Remember, regardless of how long your bike sits and temperatures. Condesation can form in your crankcase and it's always best to change your oil before the cooler months and at the end of those months along with your regualr intervals. Just good, safe and cheap insurance for your investment!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 PM
HogFather
Road Captain

Change it and there are no more questions. Oil is the bike's blood, gotta keep the bike happy.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:11 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by StreetGlideMedic
+1 to JayStronghawk. Remember, regardless of how long your bike sits and temperatures. Condesation can form in your crankcase and it's always best to change your oil before the cooler months and at the end of those months along with your regualr intervals. Just good, safe and cheap insurance for your investment!
Thanks Street Glide thought a few might agree ... How much is oil compared to what condensation does when forms acid and new break in which is gonna have metal flakes and no pistons being lubricated and cylinders bone dry.. While sitting still .. Will Just let the guy do what thinks is best is his investment not mine Oil is cheap compared to what you have 50,000 miles later...

Last edited by JayStronghawk; 03-11-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:15 PM
m3breecer
Cruiser

I would wait till it had a thousand miles on it who knows how long oil sitts in the bottle before we pour it in a motor it dont go bad like Milk but thats just my opinion

Old 03-11-2009, 01:12 PM
mayfly
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lucky 13
The trans and primary are fine but motor oil should be changed annually no mater how much you ride

agreed - with any vehicle, the acids build up from non use. fire it up lubing everything - bring up to operating temp and drain and refill with new filter.

consider the cost of an oil change versus the price of the bike....

Old 03-11-2009, 01:30 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by m3breecer
I would wait till it had a thousand miles on it who knows how long oil sitts in the bottle before we pour it in a motor it dont go bad like Milk but thats just my opinion
When new oil is sitting in the bottle on the shelf, it has never been mixed with contaminents from the engine and wouldn't break down. I would definately change it before riding, do it yourself, only gonna cost you $30 if you do it yourself.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Depends how old the oil is in the bike. But, It wouldn't hurt!

Quick Reply: Oil Change