Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RKClassic seat/why uncomfy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Fergusonic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RKClassic seat/why uncomfy?

After riding a hundred or more miles in a day, I find that my stock seat is not comfortable. I have read a few threads where people rave about aftermarket seats compared to the stock RKClassic (and others). So what is it about these seats that make them so much more comfortable than the stock one.......are they softer? harder? shape? support?
Also....has anyone taken their stock seat to an uphosterer and have them redo it to make it more comfortable?

Old 04-26-2006, 09:40 AM
spartns
Road Master
Default RE: RKClassic seat/why uncomfy?

It's the shape, I believe. Get a Sundowner and you sit in it, not on it. A new seat is the best add-on you can put on your bike. Get the backrest as well.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:42 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Concurr on the Sundowner. You don't sit on it. You put it on!!!

Old 04-26-2006, 09:47 AM
carsoni
Tourer

so you can buy a sundowner

Old 04-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Can't answer the question, as I never rode with the stock seat. Its hanging on my garage wall, as I had the Sundowner Solo installed before I picked up the bike. One of these days I'll put it on and try it out.
But like was said about the Sundowner, you sit in it

Old 04-26-2006, 11:50 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sundowner for me too. The seat just seems to be built to sit IN not on. Very comfortable all day.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Matt8643
Road Captain

I have a Mustang and absolutley love it. It is very comfortable. My g/f sits on the Mustang pillion (which is an inch wider than anything HD makes) and she loves it as well. That being said, your idea about getting the stock seat re-upholstered or re-stuffed is not a bad idea. I know a guy in who did just that on his RK standard and he is very happy with it. He had softer material and some of that gell stuff put in it and now he can ride long distances in comfort. If you really like the look of the stock seat, getting it re-done would be the way to go as long as it was economical. Other than that I would suggest sitting on the sundowner, Corbin, and Mustang to compare-these three seats seem to get the best reviews on this forum.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:24 PM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

All good comments. I recommend you also do a search on this forum. This is a recurring question and there's a lot info here.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:16 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The scientific reason the factory seats are uncomfortable is money. All HD stock seats bite. That way you buy another seat....hopefully from HD. I have a Mustang, but have heard so many great things about the Sundowner also. HD must know this also. They should be using this as their stock seat.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bill918

The scientific reason the factory seats are uncomfortable is money. All HD stock seats bite. That way you buy another seat....hopefully from HD. I have a Mustang, but have heard so many great things about the Sundowner also. HD must know this also. They should be using this as their stock seat.
I agree !

Can you say: C O N S P I R A C Y ?

I like the way you say that.

I'm a firm believer that the MoCo sells their bikes as "Starter Kits" with just the barest essentials in the hope that you will come back again and again to upgrade your ride.

It's all business. Can't say that I fault them. Last time I checked HD was not operating as a non-profit.

Primo

P.S. I'm on my 2nd HD and my 2nd Sundowner. Love/loved them both.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1293/4B25712C562240D9B18B6EF708ED14A7.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: RKClassic seat/why uncomfy?