Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signal trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
homyakchik
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal trouble

So, the latest weirdness with my bike.

FLHTCUI. My little boy pointed out the other day that my right front turn signal was burned out. No problem. Had to go to the dealer for a new shifter part anyway, so while I was there I had them sell me a replacement bulb (which it turned out was the wrong bulb, but I cracked it trying to get it in anyway, so net of zero).

Today, I went to a NAPA store about five minutes from work. Showed the single still-working bulb to the guy behind the counter. He found a physical match (two, actually), but when I plugged it into the socket, the light was in Always On mode. The rear signal'd still blink, but that front one never did. Left those bulbs there.

When I put the still-working one back in, though, _that_ light switched over into Always On mode. Both rear turn signals still work (thank Ghu), but that one lonely bulb up front is acting like a running light rather than a blinker.

Question: is there that friggin' much to changing a turn signal bulb on a Harley? (I never had this kind of problem with _cars_. Is there a particular front turn signal bulb I should try? (Have made no mods to the turn signals, deeming them reasonably important.)

Thanks

Dj

Old 03-10-2009, 12:47 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Take a look at this thread. I think it might help you.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...hat-is-it.html

Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 PM
HogFather
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1157 bulb is an 1157 bulb whether for bike or car. The link max is referring to gives some good ideas of areas to check. The 1157 is a dual element bulb with 2 contacts on the base, prongs on the side of the bulb are set at different heights. Check their orientation.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw the same problem on an 08 road king. A friend went with the smoked lenses in front and changed the bulbs to orange. When he did it, the front lights wouldn't flash when using the turn signal.
The front bulbs are dual filament and one is brighter than the other. When he used his turn signal the weaker filament blinked but you couldn't see it. Somehow he had the bulbs twisted in wrong. Take the bulb out and reverse it and it should work.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:19 PM
homyakchik
Intermediate

Taking all this under advisement (the previous thread was helpful; thanks, Max!). It seemed like on the 'correct' bulb replacement the two little prongs (on the sides) were at different heights (which seemed like the only way to get the bulb to actually screw in and lock). Still, I'll ask for a 1157 and check again (as well as take that bulb out and see if I can physically turn it around).

Dj

Old 03-10-2009, 03:14 PM
homyakchik
Intermediate
Thumbs up The light at the end of the bike

A-a-a-and, son of a ditch-digger, it was indeed the bulb.

More precisely, although the little prongs on the sides of the metal part of the bulb _look_ like they go in one particular way, they actually go in the _opposite_ way. Found that I had to wiggle the bulb just a tidge to get it to seat and rotate (the right way), but then when I tried the turn signal, both turn and running lights came up just as they were supposed to.

*sigh* Hitting NAPA again on the way home. Thanks, all.

Dj (one of my friends to whom I told this asked if Harley has a 1-800 number for Customer Support questions like "why would you make a socket that will accept a bulb in two different orientations, only one of which actually works?" I pointed out that HD's not Pringles, and the answer's probably "NO!" )