Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLHX toupack problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 06:13 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

There is an isolator between the backrest pad and the tourpak. Supposed to be like that. I guess for passenger comfort.

As far as the lock, yeah same problem here. Ended up not using it.

lp

Old 03-10-2009, 06:44 PM
FLoTR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riteway
I think its suppose to be like that,Mine is same and i THINK its so it doesn't rub and also EZ cleaning???.... Good Luck..R.W.
yeah, what he said.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:50 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn it, I need the lock so some bastich doesn't steal my KTP. Why does the lock not fit properly? I took the washer out and it still sits too far over and binds on the quick detach post. I have to say that I am becoming increasingly disappointed in the HD and on part quality or lack there of!

Old 03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
jeg1
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
There is an isolator between the backrest pad and the tourpak. Supposed to be like that. I guess for passenger comfort.

As far as the lock, yeah same problem here. Ended up not using it.

lp
So thats 3 of us just on this thread not using the lock. Also I may be missing something but if you did get the lock to work how are you going to get the key in to unlock it ,seems it hits on the bottom of the TP and wouldn't fit.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Mustang Seats makes several different varieties of the "Ultra" backrest. I wonder how those are?

-
Smooth Extended Arm Wrap-Around Backrest, No Studs
$269.00
#75324 - Smooth Extended Arm FL Wrap-Around Backrest, no Studs
Road King 1994-2009, FLHT & FLTR 1997-2009, Screamin' Eagle 1997-2005, & FLHX Street Glide 2006-2009

Direct mounting to all FLHR King Tour Paks 1986-2009. Rubber washer mounting system eliminates the troublesome soft stock isolators. Arms are extended an extra 2" for added comfort. Thicker foam padding provides comfortable armrests. Mounts to 1980-1985 FL models when Tour Pack is relocated further back and drilled.

Note: Will not fit leather or chopped Tour-Pak. Will fit King Tour-Pak ONLY.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 PM
ThePointman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jeg1
So thats 3 of us just on this thread not using the lock. Also I may be missing something but if you did get the lock to work how are you going to get the key in to unlock it ,seems it hits on the bottom of the TP and wouldn't fit.
I know its so stupid, I am told you have to bend the key to actually use it. I want to use mine and am thinking about taking it to the dealer and asking how to make it work.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Originally Posted by RODEO
Mustang Seats makes several different varieties of the "Ultra" backrest. I wonder how those are?

-
Smooth Extended Arm Wrap-Around Backrest, No Studs
$269.00
#75324 - Smooth Extended Arm FL Wrap-Around Backrest, no Studs
Road King 1994-2009, FLHT & FLTR 1997-2009, Screamin' Eagle 1997-2005, & FLHX Street Glide 2006-2009

Direct mounting to all FLHR King Tour Paks 1986-2009. Rubber washer mounting system eliminates the troublesome soft stock isolators. Arms are extended an extra 2" for added comfort. Thicker foam padding provides comfortable armrests. Mounts to 1980-1985 FL models when Tour Pack is relocated further back and drilled.

Note: Will not fit leather or chopped Tour-Pak. Will fit King Tour-Pak ONLY.
I had a studded Mustang Backrest on my -05 and have a new smooth Mustang backrest on my 09. They both fit like a glove on the pak and according to the passenger, have a lot more comfort and padding. Also the armrests on the Mustang are an inch and a half longer than the HD.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:21 AM
tpb857
Road Master

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

I just put the detachable king tour pak on my SG with the SG backrest. No gap. Also, if the locks you are talking about are the ones that go on all detachables that HD makes, I was told it was the same key for all of them, so I didn't get it.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 AM
iunlocku
Advanced

No it is not the same Key cause I bought single lock when I put the detachable passenger back rest on when I first bought the bike. It's a different Key, and no that lock doesn't work either. The passenger backrest lock works like a dream. As far as getting the key to fit in the lock you don't have to bend it just have it off the key ring and take your time and you will be able to get it to unlock. One of these days I'm going to pull the saddle bags and with the TP mounted loosen all the mounting bolts to see if I cann't get the lock to align propperly. Till I find the time I'll just keep unbolting the lock mounting post. Sounds like its a running problem for this set up.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:06 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

And to think all I really wanted was a "fixed" mount tour pack rack, which they don't offer for 09 Roadies....

I ordered the detachable rack and a "lock". Wish I had read all this first.... Maybe I'll put it on ebay before trying to use it.

Quick Reply: FLHX toupack problem