Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lemon Pledge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009 | 08:42 AM
drewski1325
Cruiser

I would be hesitant using a furniture polish on my paint. It sounds like it works great but that polish could and probably is absorbed into your paint. It may not cause problems now but if anything needs repainted you may have problems. I have never painted anything that someone has used furniture polish on it for years but I have repainted cars that people have used car wax with a high silicone content. The result was fish eyes in the new paint. The silicone absorbs into the paint and can be difficult to remove. Usually a wax remover like PPG's DX330 will remove it but sometimes it doesn't, especially if what you are painting is fiberglass. I painted a Corvette that the slicone penetrated thru the old paint and into the fiberglass body. What a mess that was.

I am unaware if a product like DX330 can remove the furniture polish chemicals but I would suggest just using a non silicone detailer instead like Evercoat's Lubi Shine.

Old 08-20-2009 | 08:43 AM
Mcathcart
Cruiser

Well I'll just be dipped in Doo-doo. In 53 years I've never heard of using Pledge on a scooter. Next time I go to the Free Freak show (at Walmart) I'll have to see about getting some and try it.

Old 08-20-2009 | 08:46 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

One of the members here did a chemical analysis on Pledge and showed why it would not hurt your paint.
The only reason you would say it might hurt it? You havnt used it
Works well.

Old 08-20-2009 | 09:55 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member

I've been using it recently and it works GREAT!!

Old 08-20-2009 | 10:31 AM
jahays32
Tourer

this is what it did to my last car

Old 08-20-2009 | 10:58 AM
bellgnte
Road Master

How mant cans have we sold by now?

It does work awesome. I was shocked when I read it here about 2 months ago. My bike used to be a dust magnet just sitting in the garage. overnight. It doesn't collect dust at all now. When I fire it up the next day, it is just as clean.....it is still new to me so I still wipe the bugs off before I put it up for the night.

Old 08-20-2009 | 11:14 AM
ks-waterbug
Cruiser

+3 on Honda Polish better than pledge IMOP... But, pledge does work!

Old 09-30-2009 | 11:30 PM
EvolHD
Intermediate

In 1994 when I bought my Heritage the dealer told me to use S.C. Johnson Wax, Klean n Shine which came in a red/pink spray can and could be found at Jewel and Dominicks etc. They said you would look no further after using it to make the bike look perfect and they were right. It worked great on everything on the bike, paint, chrome, mirrors, and plastic. It kept my bike looking showroom new for 15+ years. A few years back I was having trouble finding it available at the regular stores and found that it was no longer available through these stores. I then started ordering cases through S.C. Johnson. Now it has been removed from the market. In an effort to find something similar, actually "exactly" would make me happy, I saw the posts on S.C. Johnson Wax Pledge. I was initially pretty damn happy there could be a replacement, but just in case I called S.C. Johnson Wax directly, explained the above, and was told they caution against using Pledge on paint specifically. Chrome and plastic was fine, but paint was a no go. Anyone with a more technical background know why it should not be used on paint?

Last edited by EvolHD; 09-30-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2009 | 12:00 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by EvolHD
In 1994 when I bought my Heritage the dealer told me to use S.C. Johnson Wax, Klean n Shine which came in a red/pink spray can and could be found at Jewel and Dominicks etc. They said you would look no further after using it to make the bike look perfect and they were right. It worked great on everything on the bike, paint, chrome, mirrors, and plastic. It kept my bike looking showroom new for 15+ years. A few years back I was having trouble finding it available at the regular stores and found that it was no longer available through these stores. I then started ordering cases through S.C. Johnson. Now it has been removed from the market. In an effort to find something similar, actually "exactly" would make me happy, I saw the posts on S.C. Johnson Wax Pledge. I was initially pretty damn happy there could be a replacement, but just in case I called S.C. Johnson Wax directly, explained the above, and was told they caution against using Pledge on paint specifically. Chrome and plastic was fine, but paint was a no go. Anyone with a more technical background know why it should not be used on paint?
It is hard to dispute the experience with this stuff on display on this forum. If you got someone at Johnson that didn't know for sure, of course they would say not do that. They may even have told their employees to say that. To avoid any liability problems, they would have to do extensive testing of Pledge on paint to decide if it was safe or not. If they didn't want to do that testing, they would just say don't use it. There are so many on here that have used it for so long, with excellent results, that I think the test results are already in!!

Old 10-01-2009 | 12:10 AM
bosco 09
Tourer

Originally Posted by MrHog
Honda Pro Spay Cleaner is the way to go. Use it on paint, chrome, windshield, mirrors. It's an aerosol spay that is spayed on and then wiped off. Works great on bugs and road grime. Leaves a wax finish.
+1 i've used the Honda Pro Spray Cleaner Polish for over ten years and nothing imo is better. convenient, easy to use, inexpensive and it works. i haven't waxed a car or bike of mine for those ten years i clay bar if needed then spray polish, done. $6.00/can with my AMA discount.

Subaru's, Corvette's, Harley's and any vehicle in between, it's all good with Pro Spray

Quick Reply: Lemon Pledge?