Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for 2009 owners opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 PM
locodude
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to ask a stupid question but I'm new here and I've seen SERT alot what exactly does SERT mean?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:29 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would give you both my and my wifes opinon but i cant keep her awake long enough to get it, you see everytime she gets on the ultra within 10 miles she goes to sleep so i would say its a pretty good ride. as for me the only thing i may change is the bars, something is just not quite right with the way they feel.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

I own an 04 and love it... did a fly/ride out of Miami a few weeks ago,,,, they have the 09 FLHTCI - had about 15K on it.... all STOCK.... What a Noisy engine... starter Clunked LOUD, trans and engine sounded like it had a can of Rocks in it... I asked when I got back.. said it was normal?????????? All I can say, if that was My 09, I would NOT be happy.. ran fine but NOISY??????????????

Old 03-08-2009, 09:40 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have ridden the 09. They are very nice but I like my 03 better. Perhaps I am one of the few. My 03 is my dream bike and I will keep it as long as it lets me.. Perhaps it will be time to trade up at the 110th anniversary edition.

spiz

Old 03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

SERT=Screaming Eagle Race Tuner

Old 03-08-2009, 09:49 PM
kwb
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an 05 Fatboy (which I sold) and bought an 09 Road King Classic. The bike is amazing! I have ridden 03 and 05 RK's and the changes they made for 09 improved the overall handling of the bike. I couldnt be happier with it!

I did change out the bars and seat (which is kinda expected on a new bike in most cases).

Changing the bars is a big job (or expensive if you have the dealer do it for you).

I also added Rinehart Slip ons and a PCV from fuelMoto - it made a Huge difference in the power!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

I traded an 05 FLHRS for a 2009 FLTR. For me it was a win win. this bike is the BEST handling bagger Harley has made and I have ridden a lot of them. handling, power, not as hot, ABS, all in all I havent stopped grinning yet!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:38 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK since everyone else says yes....

I'll play devil's advocate:

1) It is still a very hot engine stock. (just redirected rear exhaust feels better)

2) Hmmmm. I can't think of a number 2..... guess that answers it doesn't it.

Seriously, though I would recommend the following immediately after pick up and you wouldn't believe the difference in the heat and performance response.

1) Fuel Controller, I'm partial to PCV but something to richen it up
2) Free flowing mufflers, I'm partial to Jackpot Dyno Tuned
3) HD Premium Oil Cooler
4) Oil Temp Gauge to keep an eye on things if you want

For less than a grand, if you shop, you'll have your new ride running and sounding the way it should without all the heat.

Other than the heat I have nothing bad to say about the 09. They got it right this time. Too bad the EPA makes us shell out our hard earned paycheck to fix what they screw up. JMHO

GET THE 09!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Harpoonman
Club Member

Originally Posted by glide2meetu
Traded my 07 ultra for the 09 and have put close to 500 miles on it so far and here are my thoughts.
1. No low speed wobble anymore
2. Better handling in the turns, corners like a smaller bike
3. My 07 was one of the very hot bikes, much less heat on the 09
5. Much better feel for the road through the frame.
6. Additional engine mount takes away the "paint shaker" effect during idle and while riding.
7. Wife feels more comfortable on the back of this bike.
8. Additional luggage capabilities. (5 more lbs per bag I think)

Negatives in my opinion
1. Needs longer bars if you are a taller rider
2. Seat is not my favorite but it is better.
If you are in doubt, go rent one for the weekend, load up the little lady, and hit the road! That should help seal the deal.

I have just rolled about 2300 miles on my 09 Ultra. In the past couple hundred miles I have noticed a front end shimmy at 30 mph. Haven't talked to the dealer about it yet..the problem is that new.....I replaced my crashed 05 Ultra, which I loved. First thing I noticed when I picked it up....
1. Idle was was a little rougher than the 05.
2.The compensator slams hard when you first crank it up. That is what the Owner of the Dealership told me it was.

I do not know if the motor mounts have softend up and smoothed out the Idle, or I have just gotten use to it.

My Dealer sold me some extras, from my whish list, but HD has not yet made the mods so they will fit the new frame. Also still waiting for Drag Specalties, to come out with some Rinehart True duals for this new frame.
Other that that...It is all good.....

Old 03-08-2009, 11:12 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the 1300 miles I had on my 09 Road Glide, I have nothing but great things to say about it. It was rock solid, great idle, EITMS was nice, TBW took a little getting used to, cruise control was awesome. If I had it to do all over again, which I do I would and will not hesitate on the 09 touring bikes.

Quick Reply: Looking for 2009 owners opinions