Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil change

Does anybody have any tips or a good link for a first timer changing the oil in my SG. Should i do Primary also? Milage is at 4800 and has already been done once.

thanks

Old 03-08-2009, 09:13 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I change my oil out every 5K, changing my filter every 2500 and changing the primary and tranny every 10K or once a year.I use synthetic in the crank and tranny and dino in the primary. I don't recommend changing your oil on a jack. You are better off changing it on the jiffy stand.

Last edited by soos; 03-08-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:14 AM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not to bad to do, I have heard of alot of ways to do this but trial and error is the best with minimal mess...I used a piece of tin foil and slid it under the oil filter, than too a 2 liter coke bottle cut it out and slid under the filter carefully and unscrewed the filter and took it off...I do this when I change mine and really don't have any oil spill over..I am just very careful and this way works for me and never have had a problem. But since I have found a local shop that will change all three for $70 with tax and now I let them do it..My local steeler wants $59.95 just to change the oil, so for $70 out the door is a deal for the tranny,primary,and oil is worth it for me and I don't have to make an appointment, I just drive up and about an hour later I am out the door..I don't know if you have a local shop in your area that is like mine, but I am glad I found them and they have GREAT service and the cheapest shop prices of anyone in the area I live...Good Luck........Doc

Old 03-08-2009, 09:20 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member

If you are up for a ride, bring it over here and I'll show ya how to do it.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:21 AM
52edub
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Oil Change

You shouldn't have to change the primary or transmission as they are 15K intervals. Changing the oil is simple, but make sure you either use your owners manual or service manual. I use a cat litter box to catch the oil as the SG lowered stance makes it hard to use oil recovery containers. I also use a two liter coke bottle cut with a v-notch to catch the oil filter. You may need to purchase a oil filter wrench that has the cut out for the timing socket. Take your time and put a rag under the filter to keep your engine mount free of oil. Service manual is very helpful and will save you time and money doing your own service and having the satisfaction of knowing it is done right. DIY justifies me using more expensive synthetic oil and lubes.
matt

Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by 52edub
You shouldn't have to change the primary or transmission as they are 15K intervals.
Last time I checked, primary was 10K and tranny was 20K. Have they changed it since '06?

Old 03-08-2009, 09:27 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

I'm getting an 09 SG delivered next week, is it any different from my 02 RK? The reason I asked is I once read someone saying that the oil will drip on the frame if you drain it on the jiffy stand. I bought the manual, but they had to order it too.

Beary

Old 03-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master

Originally Posted by soos
If you are up for a ride, bring it over here and I'll show ya how to do it.
funny i've seen your ads and never noticed the location. If it wasn't so sandy out I would definatly swing by. Another 2-4 tomorrow too......ARGH!

Old 03-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Dave54
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Warm the bike first! This will make draining the oils way faster. If your using trans/primary oil in the trans ,make sure you put it in the right hole! trans in trans ,engine oil in engine etc If your using syntheic you don,t have to worry about it
If you don,t have anywhere to get rid of the used oil put it in gallon jugs and after gets dark sneak the jugs into the back of a neighbors pick-up (if you don,t like him leave the caps loose)

Old 03-08-2009, 09:36 AM
mayfly
Cruiser

on my 98 RKC the service maual has no pics of location of the different drain plugs - which one is the oil ? it salys to remove the plug from the oil pan - but I can't tell the difference between the trans and engine.

it's a 1340 evo BTW

anyone have any pics or suggestions ?

Last edited by mayfly; 03-08-2009 at 09:46 AM.

Quick Reply: oil change