Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog/Driving lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 08:49 AM
petdoc94
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Fog/Driving lights

Does anyone know if the Harley Davidson fog lamps that mount to the crash are really worth the time and money, and if so are they a real pain in the butt to install or leave the install to someone that that will charge you a crazy amount to install them. I want some added lights up front so it will make others see me better. I have added lights to the rear for added protection and was able to install them on my own with no problems.
I just wanted some advice if anyone cares to share....Have a great day everyone!!!
Doc

Old 03-08-2009, 09:05 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

YES!

They are with every penny. The best addition I made to the bike. I ride in city traffic all the time and people see me now. I almost never need the air horn any more. On my old softail with the one head light I had problems all the time with people pulling out or coming into my lane. Not any more with five headlights up front.

I wish I could tell you more about the install but I had the dealer do it when I bought the bike. In looking at it, I don't think it would be hard but time consuming. Requires yanking the tank. The tank comes off easy but your bike will look sad when you yank the tank and seat and expose the cable tray under the tank.

Don't hesitate to buy the lights. They are great.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:11 AM
52edub
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Install

The install is simple. You can customize it by hiding the wires in the engine guard. One suggestion is use an Ultra spot light switch or HD's on/off switch on the fairing panel. The rubber handle bar switch is crap. Also lube up the relay with dielectric grease to make it more water proof.
matt

Old 03-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The HD fog light kit is a terrific value at $135 list price and great for conspicuity IMO. Had them on my EG for 3+ years and only removed them to add fairng lowers.

Installation is not difficult and there was a detailed post on how to run the wires inside the engine guard within the past 7-10 days. Many use the ACC switch to control on/off rather than the rubber booted swtich that mounts at the clutch perch provided in the kit.

Buy a service manual if you haven't already. It's not a difficult installation at all, but it's not changing a turn signal bulb either.

Ask the parts counter guy at your HD store to print out the installation instructions and you can get a good idea of what's involved before you buy them.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:45 AM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default lites

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The HD fog light kit is a terrific value at $135 list price and great for conspicuity IMO. Had them on my EG for 3+ years and only removed them to add fairng lowers.

Installation is not difficult and there was a detailed post on how to run the wires inside the engine guard within the past 7-10 days. Many use the ACC switch to control on/off rather than the rubber booted swtich that mounts at the clutch perch provided in the kit.

Buy a service manual if you haven't already. It's not a difficult installation at all, but it's not changing a turn signal bulb either.

Ask the parts counter guy at your HD store to print out the installation instructions and you can get a good idea of what's involved before you buy them.
+1 on above. really easy to do. to do it right you need to remove the tank which is a little overwelming at first but really no big deal. just make sure its close to empty so easier to handle. good luck!!!

Attached Thumbnails Fog/Driving lights-dscf0145.jpg  
Old 03-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Supernova01
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put them on my RKCustom last year sometime. Love them. Was told they are definitely bright. I too ran the wires inside of my engine guard, just couldn't stand the black wires and wire ties on the outside. On a side note, I didn't have to take my tank off, I just ran my wiring under my dash, but that all depends on your bike. Buy em and try putting them on yourself, definitely more satisfying! And, if ya screw it up, there's always someone on here that'll get ya all fixed up in no time.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:32 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by petdoc94
Does anyone know if the Harley Davidson fog lamps that mount to the crash are really worth the time and money, and if so are they a real pain in the butt to install or leave the install to someone that that will charge you a crazy amount to install them. I want some added lights up front so it will make others see me better. I have added lights to the rear for added protection and was able to install them on my own with no problems.
I just wanted some advice if anyone cares to share....Have a great day everyone!!!
Doc
More frontal signature recognition is always better except putting on more than 4 lights up front may be illegal as so many LEOS on this forum have pointed out. You need to run at least one HEADLAMP always on during the daytime than an additional 3 more to total 4. Check with some of our members here on that. I do not believe that anyone would bother you during the day however, but who knows?

I use a modulator on a pair of combination Halogen (for modulator) and HID (for night driving) bulbs in my 4 1/2" HEAD LAMPS in place of the stock FL FLOOD lamps known as passing/driving lamps. I only use just the two 4 1/2" HEAD LAMPS for DRL and they really do command attention.

Now, with the modulator, the other vehicles that still cut me off now wave to say they are sorry in place of just cutting me off without the DRL. Front fork mounted 40mm missiles would be the only good deterrent to getting cut off IMO.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:07 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I use a modulator on a pair of combination Halogen (for modulator) and HID (for night driving) bulbs in my 4 1/2" HEAD LAMPS in place of the stock FL FLOOD lamps known as passing/driving lamps. I only use just the two 4 1/2" HEAD LAMPS for DRL and they really do command attention.
Where can I get Halogen/Hid bulbs. I'm in the middle of adding passing lamps to my SG.

Beary

Old 03-08-2009, 02:54 PM
EGlideKid
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got Motolights on mine, but I've got a bud with an SG and he put the HD lights on his. Let me tell you, I can pick him out of the crowd behind me no matter where he's at. He stands out, and that's the idea about driving lights, they help at night a LOT, plus they make you more visible to all the nutbags out there. It's a no-brainer!

Old 03-08-2009, 04:18 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

They work great, both for lighting your way, and for frontal visibility. IMO, for the latter, they are far better than the passing lamps next to the headlight. And less than half the price.

When I was considering them, I noticed that almost every day on my way to work, a guy with a SG and those lights was headed to work in the opposite direction as I do, (coming toward me) so I got a good demonstration of how effective they are as far as frontal visibility.

Sold me on them without a doubt. He was MUCH more visible to me than the countless Harleys I've seen coming at me with the driving lights next to the headlight.

As for install, I cant comment, as both times I've added them, (07 and 09 SG) I had the dealer do it. Not so much as I think its a hard install, I just don't like messing with anything electrical on my bike if I really don't have to.