Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 SERG - lost bag

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:34 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 SERG - lost bag

Okay, so I've had my bike a week and am taking it on the road for my first real ride. I'd taken it easy for the first 500 miles and ready to see just good the bike is on the highway. I left my house yesterday at noon headed to our place at the beach, 385 miles. I couldn't believe the power and performance of the bike and checked the mileage and was getting a little over 40 mpg. I had enough time to really check things out and am happier with my decision to buy the SERG each time I get on it.

It was around 5, rush hour, and I had just gone through the tunnel in Mobile, AL. I was on the bridge across the bay passing a truck when without warning, not a peep, I saw my right bag blowing off and as you would expect right into the path of the truck I was passing. There was no way or reason to stop, the bag was trashed. I'm not sure what happened, I checked the pins and clips when I packed the bags for the trip with everything looking okay.

My questions are:
1) Could this be attributed to a factory problem and if so would it be covered under my warranty?
2) Knowing the answer I'll probably get concerning warranty coverage, does anyone have an idea what it will cost to replace the bag and how long it takes for them to paint and deliver a replacement.

Oh well, the weather is great and I'm hitting the road for more miles on my "dream" machine.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:37 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the dealer here just did not cover this under warranty for a guy here......As for time, you may get lucky. You may think that since you have a SE, they may rush the replacement to you

Old 03-07-2009, 07:38 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Man that's a bummer.... Especially when it happens to a new bike and especially so when that new bike is a CVO model. OUCH!

Could be worse though, right? Easy to replace a bag with $ and no damage done. Unlike getting into an accident with it. Keep the faith as you got yourself a great bike there..

Old 03-07-2009, 07:41 AM
ryan_sach
Intermediate

wow, that sucks man!! If the clips were indeed tight, and the pins are still on the bike after the fact, I can't see any reason that it would fall off. maybe if the pins are missing you'd have a chance? Lucky for me, I still got a few weeks of snow to make sure mine are tight!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:46 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Make sure you have the washers on the pins or the grommet could slide through the pin.

Originally Posted by ryan_sach
wow, that sucks man!! If the clips were indeed tight, and the pins are still on the bike after the fact, I can't see any reason that it would fall off. maybe if the pins are missing you'd have a chance? Lucky for me, I still got a few weeks of snow to make sure mine are tight!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:47 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Man...I thought I was having a bad day! You will most likely have to bite the bullet on this one.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:57 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the pins out of the rear of both bags,took the clip off, put in a 1/4 stainless bolt with flat washers and a nylock lock nut on the inside. This will secure the bags and you have to open the locked bags to get the bag off (theft deterrant)

Old 03-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That sucks, the same thing happened to another guy here a couple weeks back with a firemen's model. He lucked out though and found the exact bag he needed at a swap meet the next weekend.

Did you have the bags off the bike at all since you bought it? If not you might have a good case for a claim.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:03 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

The pins were in place, tight and had the washers in place. They are gone along with the bag. Thanks honestbob for the advice - that is on my to do list this morning.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:04 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

That IS going to be a $$$$ bag to replace though.... MOCO is going to get you for a CVO Bag..

Quick Reply: '09 SERG - lost bag