Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 SERG - lost bag

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 10:33 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by honestbob
I took the pins out of the rear of both bags,took the clip off, put in a 1/4 stainless bolt with flat washers and a nylock lock nut on the inside. This will secure the bags and you have to open the locked bags to get the bag off (theft deterrant)
Can we have a pic of your fix, Bob?

Old 03-07-2009, 02:55 PM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The story continues.

I have a buddy in Orange Beach, AL, Billy Carbone who ownes Gulf Coast Choppers; if your in the area you should drop by for a visit. Billy does Harley work and builds some of the coolest bikes you'll ever see. Billy looked at my bike this morning and said that the bolt holding the front of the bad appeared to have never been on or was so loose it fell off. He decided to check everything out and found that the bolt on the left side was missing and it was hanging on by a prayer. I called the sales manager at my dealer and he couldn't stop apoligizing for what had happened. He said he would talk to the manager and get back with me. They called a little while later and said they were going to order me a new bag at no cost and would replace my clothes and rain suit.

I've had good luck with my dealings at Bleu Bayou Harley in Monroe, LA and once again they've come through for me.

One more thing, I replaced the pins and clips with a bolt, lock washer and nut on the left bag and will do so on the right when it gets here. Hey Twinrider, thanks for the suggestion about the wing nuts, that will make it secure and a lot easier to remove.

Old 03-07-2009, 02:58 PM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DPete
Man that sucks, I was at the dealer yesterday checking on my new SG and they warned me about people stealing hard bags and selling them on Ebay. Said to always keep them locked, any chance somebody was tring to get it?
There was no way anyone could have tried to steal it, I just picked it up last Saturday and I have left it other than in my garage. I was unlucky.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:02 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Glad your dealer came through for you.

With all this talk about bags falling off and being stolen, I guess I'll also go the bolt and wing nut route but just one per side.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad they manned up to their mistake. Sounds like a good dealership.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:29 PM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had good luck with my dealings at Bleu Bayou Harley in Monroe, LA and once again they've come through for me.
My GF and I are planning on going to Shreveport, and then across to Monroe and Vicksburg on vacation this May. Have to find that dealership....buy a T-shirt....and shake their hand. While reading your thread, I admit I was having my doubts.

Good Luck on the trip back!!!

Billy G

Old 03-07-2009, 09:39 PM
hogginit
Road Captain

Good deal, I was routing for you. They usually are great about standing behind their CVO bikes. Noticed on my last bike that the bag fasteners were spread after dealer servicing. I believe the techs are sometimes a little hard and fast when re-installing the bags. I always keep a spare set now. Might also look at a better system even though the zuess fasteners are convienient.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

I wonder if a bolt/pin with a hole drilled thru it's end, and a hitch pin thru the hole (inside the bag) would work? That way it's still quick, but won't come off. Of course use appropriate washers on either side. Haven't tried it, just thinking out loud.
Jerry

Old 03-07-2009, 10:11 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry L
I wonder if a bolt/pin with a hole drilled thru it's end, and a hitch pin thru the hole (inside the bag) would work? That way it's still quick, but won't come off. Of course use appropriate washers on either side. Haven't tried it, just thinking out loud.
Jerry
Here ya go took about an 1/2 hour and $5.00

Old 03-07-2009, 11:39 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And here I went and switched to hard bags and no guard rails for a clean look. I do like the bolt on idea or some of these other ideas for maintaining a quick detach. I lose one of these bags and I'm going to be pissed! Man, it's good to hear they covered your back on that S/E bag.

Quick Reply: '09 SERG - lost bag