Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:22 AM
buick455gs
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Enclosed Trailer

I am looking for small enclosed trailer for my 2001 SE Road Glide that can be pulled behind my 2003 Mercedes E320. I saw one on a site that was clamshell design but can not find it. I do not want a heavy tall trailer and will maybe use this a few times a year when traveling with the family. My wife can only ride a few hours at a time so if we are to travel together this is my only option other than putting the bike in the bed of my 2000 Ram truck but with 14 miles a gallon vs. 30 I plann to take the Benz when possible.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:12 AM
Dr. Combustion
Cruiser

I just went through the decision making process of buying an enclosed trailer myself. I originally thought a 5x8 would be fine, they are way too small. It came down to a 6x12 or 6x10. I was able to find a compact (7ft tall) 6x12 at a good price.

The clamshell trailers are for snowmobiles, and I have no idea how one would work for a motorcycle. As for towing with the Benz, what is the tow rating for the car? The allowable hitch and tongue weight? Even a small enclosed 6x10 trailer will approach 1000lbs empty unless you go with an aluminum model. Add 800 lbs for the bike, and it may overwhelm the Benz's capabilities. I'm not sure how the Benz will handle while towing 1800lbs, especially in the wind. You may check your owner's manual about the towing capabilities of the Benz.

You may think about an open trailer, like a 5x8 or 6x10. I had an open 5x8 that I used for my 2009 Street Glide with a trip from central OH to Daytona and back without any issues. Or just use the truck! It was designed for this sort of thing. Good luck.

BTW, great to see another Buick guy. I had several GN's. T-Types and even a GNX. I used to race a twin turbo GN. The last time I went to the Buick Nationals was in 2001.

Last edited by Dr. Combustion; 03-06-2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:21 AM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out www.rvtravel.com , this looks like a tidy answer to trailering. Its lockable, keeps the bike out of the weather, cheaper to pull than a BIG trailer, and small enough to store at home conveniently. Just make sure you secure it, by locking the wheels/hitch so it cant be pulled/towed away by thieves.
Happy trails.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:28 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/ These guys make a great looking enclosed trailer that you can pull with almost anything. I'm waiting for a new trailer they are coming out that will accomodate two dressers side-by-side.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:00 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by buick455gs
I am looking for small enclosed trailer for my 2001 SE Road Glide that can be pulled behind my 2003 Mercedes E320. I saw one on a site that was clamshell design but can not find it. I do not want a heavy tall trailer and will maybe use this a few times a year when traveling with the family. My wife can only ride a few hours at a time so if we are to travel together this is my only option other than putting the bike in the bed of my 2000 Ram truck but with 14 miles a gallon vs. 30 I plann to take the Benz when possible.

Check out toycarrier.com I bought a double bike carrier and it is fabulous. The trailer only weighs 1600lbs. - polyresin on an aluminum frame.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:52 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by GT_RoadGlide
http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/ These guys make a great looking enclosed trailer that you can pull with almost anything. I'm waiting for a new trailer they are coming out that will accomodate two dressers side-by-side.
+1 on the Iron Horse, that's if moneys not an issue...Their not cheap by any means...

Old 03-07-2009, 07:58 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

I bought an Ironhorse trailer last year and love it. It easily holds two dressers and weighing in at roughly 1,000 pounds its easy to pull. I normally pull it with my Tahoe but we've pulled it with my wife's Lexus RX400h and it does fine (I've only pulled it with one bike with the Lexus). The trailer is very well made and with the top that opens up makes its incredibly easy to open and load your bikes. I bought the Sturgis model - I didn't paint it, IMO the white makes it safer and easier to see.

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com

Old 03-07-2009, 08:02 AM
hoofnhog
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Are you seriously supposed to say Mercedes and Lexus in the same sentence as Harley?????????????

Old 03-07-2009, 08:07 AM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain

Sorry about the mention of foreign made autos but IMO if you can you gotta go with quality; that's why I love my harley!

Old 03-07-2009, 08:19 AM
td17056
Advanced

Hey Buick,

I too have an E320 that I want to do the same thing as you. What are you going to use for a hitch?

TD

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer