Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:26 AM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bear Track

Your enemy is a combination of tongue weight, sway and combined weight with your bike and the trailer. Understanding your maximum combined gross vehicle weight recommendations with the trailer's is pretty important.

This winter, I trailered my SG from Minnesota to Florida with a Honda CRV - it has a maximum trailer weight capacity of 1500 pounds. I've always liked to be at or below 80% of stated maximums. So, with my bike at about 900#s (I had side bags and tour pak loaded up), I really only ad 350-400#s to work with for my trailer - translation - I probably wasn't going to be able to safely (or fuel efficiently) pull an enclosed trailer under my 80% max weight rule. So... I ended up renting this trailer: http://www.beartrackproducts.com/Pro...lers_MOTO.html

It towed beautifully - the bike sits nice and low. And the trailer weight is only about 375#s - a perfect solution.

Downside: I had to wash the bike after 1500 miles of road spray and weather.

Upside: I was able to bring my bike with us.

It made about a 7 mpg - 9 mpg hit on gas mileage (over a 3000 mile average).

Other than road spray, I had no chips or damage whatsoever on my fairing or fender as there is a great rock-guard on the front of the trailer.

If you can find an enclosed trailer in the 400-500 pound range, you might be okay, but understand your weight maximums...

Attached Thumbnails Enclosed Trailer-btu53120_large.jpg  
Old 03-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This company is tops.
I bought one used and they supplied me with upgraded eye hooks, without charge.
Nice trailer to begin with. Mine weights under 800 LBS and you hardly know its behind you. Very competitive prices, too.
http://www.toycarrier.com/index.html

Old 03-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Miltonhog
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You may want to consider a Chariot Trailer Inc. I have owned 2 and they make an excellent low profile enclosed Cycle Shuttle 10. They have been great trailers and tow very well. I towed my FLHTC behind a Ford Ranger 2.9 V6 with a 5 speed. Easy to load and tow. They also make a cycle sled open trailer as an option if your car can't tow an enclosed trailer. They have been building fibreglass trailers for more than 25 years. I sold my 15 year old Chariot with a lot of miles for exactly what I paid for it .
The new designs have some signifigant improvements with improved lighting and interiors. I would recommend a side door to assist with loading and securing as well as extra interior lights. They are so well built you will see why they cost a little more than some others. The web site is Chariottrailer Inc. I am a very satisfied customer with no relationship to the company. Just putting a word out for a great product.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:30 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hes looking for the clam shell trailer -ride safe

Old 03-21-2009, 05:56 AM
timbo240
Intermediate

I have a 7x12' enclosed trailer that I put 2 street glides in. Electric brakes are the best, feels like I can stop faster with the trailer than without.
One issue I had was not knowing what is going on to the bikes when we are going down the road (DETROIT ROADS ANYONE???).. easy and cheap fix.. picked up a rear license plate wireless camera, the ones normally used for backing up. Instead of putting it on the car, I put it INSIDE the trailer. I hooked it up to power from the brake lights. everytime I hit the brakes, a tv screen turns on and I can see the bikes, straps, and anything else that may be wanting to move around in the trailer.
I even wired the overhead light to turn on.. took about 1 hour to install and its pretty cool.
Cost was $109.00 Canadian.
No more wondering, or stopping all the time just to 'check'

Old 03-21-2009, 06:07 AM
alame
Tourer

that camera setup sounds pretty good !! I was going to ask my wife to ride in there with a flashlight, she'll be pleased now.